What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hype is over, now what?

Seems this topic has been VERY VERY QUIET lately. Thought I would try to revive it, now that winter is coming and the sarrs should be heading into their long winters nap.

Is everyone been tasked with some responsibililty? Is this all resting on Casper's shoulders?

Rick

ps plantakiss, were we all dropped on our heads in 1955?

I wasn't thought of in 1955.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Copper @ Nov. 12 2004,6:26)]I wasn't thought of in 1955.
Well, maybe. But, I bet at least one of your parents was thinking about practicing though.

LOL
biggrin.gif

Jerry

I have 6 older brothers, they were.

with six older brothers though, they just couldn't get it right.
Practice makes perfect
smile_n_32.gif

I'd agree with Rick on this one. Since the vast majority of our plants are heading south for the winter. We should try to be contructive with what little extra time some of us have on our hands.

lol Rick. Is THAT what's wrong with me??
laugh.gif

One of our main problems all along has been lack of people wanting to take major positions. Most of the people that have the skills, are busy using those skills to make a living.
smile.gif
Until this hurdle is overcome, I'm not sure what we can do. We need some folks to step up and volunteer for some of the "heavy duty" positions. We have 100 people willing to grow plants...not too many wanting the responsibility of or having the time for leadership (which is understandable when you have jobs and families).
And of course having all of us scattered to the four winds doesn't help.

However, I think its all possible to overcome. Having a common meeting place will help I think.

As for a common meeting place the forums are good, but for something in person that will be mighty hard, as we have east coasters, west coaster, Canadians, and many others. As for the people stepping up in the big places, what are those big places?

Hype? What hype? I only see enthusiasm, so where is hype?????

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Wesley @ Nov. 15 2004,8:22)]As for the people stepping up in the big places, what are those big places?
I've volunteered in the past for any PR position, even got a plug in for the NASC in an interview with a local news station. I have to do a lot of promoting for the band I'm in, and understand that it will make you or break you to a degree. I've seen people offer their services for several different positions but I don't think it was put to a vote, or seconded, or able to go past the point of simply saying “I’ll do it”. Most people are content to follow. Some want the title of a leader, but not the responsibility. That seems to be human nature. We’ve really got to get this core element together I.E. Prez, chair people, board members ECT... I really covering old ground that has already been discussed to death, but until the initial core is solidified I’m not sure we’ll progress much.

PAK how you doing on the pamphlet? I thought what you had was just gorgeous, and was wondering where I could get several million copies

Wesley, the are several thread pertaining to the positions needing to be filled, as well as a description of each job.

I guess you are right, Zak. So we need to fill positions, secure our website for Members info and gathering together, and folks to put up some time and energy. I won't beg or plead. I will say, now is the time. I will be glad to be on the growers board, even take the reins if need be. Who else will step up? We are looking for those who are willing to try to lead and guide us through our start. I am one. Zak is PR man, and PAK? Ozzy? Noah? Wesley? PDX? Imduff? SarraceniaO? Sarraceniaobsessed? Jimscott? NepG? Colieo? Finch? Ready to hear from you all. Schloaty, PM me. I will write Carl Mazur again for a website building update. Copper is looking into a chatroom for all of us to gather in and organize ourselves. Casper is unavailable, so we have to work around that. OK?? I work this Saturday, so Saturday after 5:30 PM PST I am available for chat. Sunday is open, so far. Copper, keep us updated on the Chatroom, and when. Thanks everyone! Think about it, and get back to us soon. Winter is a great time to organize, and grow out seedlings. And that is just what I am doing. CP 12 months out of the year. YAY!!!!!!

Hi Zak

I still have to finish the brochure but there isn't a lot to do on it. I'm working on it at work and I can only do that when I'm a little slow. I have to correct some copy and work on the real photos for it. Getting to it is the problem.

As far as "millions of copies"...got millions of dollars? lol Once this is complete, I can print SOME copies here and there, but I can't print thousands. I'm really just sneaking this at work because nobody keeps track of my materials. So I can do 50 here and 50 there. But I can't print large quantities. Although I can set this up to where it can go to a printer to be printed by the thousands, color printing is very expensive. So is color copying.

The Kinkos here charges 79-cents for 8 1/2" x 11" color sheet. 50 copies of a two-sided brochure makes it 100 copies. So you're talking almost $80 per every 50 color brochures. So...we CAN get "millions of copies", but it will cost a lot of mooooola. Like I said, I can print some out in batches here and there. But I'm hoping people will be a little judicious about who they go out to so they aren't wasted.

I will try to work on some stuff today at lunch. And maybe stay late tonite too. I'd like to get that finished as well. I also need to work on Brook's latest article on sarracenia seeds. Its another good one. I have other freelance work to do as well so...I'm kinda slammed...
confused.gif

Gotcha PAK.

Yes, I'm aware of the expense, and was only kidding about the millions.
I do that sometimes
smile_n_32.gif
But never the less it may not be a bad idea to copy it on to a transferable media say a CD so that people can have it printed up at their own convience in there own neck of the woods. Just thinking. I know these things take time I also work a full time job as well as the whole band thing, that will have me jumping almost every weekend. FORTUNATELY I should be able to integrate the NASC into my printing and traveling excursions. You right about wasting resources. The color brochure would do well for BG and such, maybe even under glass at the local H.S. bullitin board.

With all of us being busy it may also not be a bad idea to have several people assigned to an area almost like a shift work scenario if you will. The web site will be instrumental in keeping track of those things. Oh well one thing at a time.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Most of the people that have the skills, are busy using those skills to make a living.
I don't have any skills but I can always be useful as a bad example.
smile.gif

BAD OZZY!! BAD!! *BONK* BONK* BONK* Let that be a lesson to you! You have skills, big fibber! I've read your oratories, and rantings and ravings. No selling yourself short here. Get on board, and find a place to fit! We have lots to do.

Well, I'm very good at pissing people off. Where does that fit into this?

LOL Mark. Mark. Mark. Too bad you aren't a neighbor. lol

Aaaaaanyway...I have been working my sore butt off on finishing the brochure. But I have the same problem I always have which hangs me up.

I need:
1) a contact name (I don't mind using mine but it should probably be someone "higher up") or two
2) A return address (was going to use Casper's)
3) Web address

Its really no point to put this brochure out if we don't have contact info in case someone wants to give money, share information or get involved.

Any comments, suggestions, ideas? For this to be COMPLETED, I need this! I can't make it up (unless we use me for contact...I have all that information. hehe
smile_m_32.gif
)

You can use me as a contact (even though I'm just a peon myself.) Two other very good choices would be Bugweed or Zak, since he is the PR man. You can use me if nobody else wants to.

Yeah to bad I'm not your neighbor.
smile_m_32.gif

I don't mind at all I'd be happy to talk anybody's ear off on the virtues of the NASC. AS fas as an address to send donations. Was the account the funds from NASC auction placed in a specific NASC account, or someones personal account? Yes I guess we must get the site up and running first. Anybody talk to carl? I was under the impression he was building the site.

I have emailed Carl regarding the website. I'll check my AOL mail in a few minutes to see if he's answered but I expect it will take a while.

Back