What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hymenopus coronatus

dEsSiCaTa_UK

UNSC Sparten
Hi everyone, i joined on here a while ago but lost all my carnivorous plants since (Will start again when soon:) ).
My main hobby though is keeping exotic insects and stuff, anyway i have a Malaysian orchid mantis and to make her a nice enclosure i went and bought her an actual orchid for her to sit on, but i dont know anything about orchid plant care, at the moment i planted it in some coconut fibre, is there anything i need to keep it alive and well?
I dont mind if it flowers much just need it for something for her to perch on, heres a photo of her current set up.

3292829308_7dba10148c.jpg

Do you know what kind of orchid it is? Different orchids have a wide range of growing requirements.

Nice mantis, do you have a male? I had a pair once, and it was amazing to watch the male stalk the female. He obviously new his fate, and was very cautious. The orchid looks like a phalaenopsis. Most grow with fairly low light levels. Just mist it occasionally, the fiber should be damp, letting it dry lightly between waterings. Don't let water stand in the bottom, if it does the roots will rot and the plant will die. Eventually the plant will be too large for the jar, at which time you can pot it up.

Thanks for that :D
Thats pretty much what im doing currently then :)
As for the species i wouldnt have a clue, i think its the bog standard commonest ones.
Sadly i havent got mates for my female yet, although im gunna buy a couple to be on the safe side, i really want to see the amazing nymphs :)

Heres a couple of photos of her :)

3255522256_a1d12ba2df_b.jpg

3255516260_8e634dbfcd.jpg

3284377127_2c27655186_b.jpg

3285196288_1ba00667e8_b.jpg

Sorry to hear you lost your plants. :( But that's a cute mantis! Creepy eyes, though.

that is just so cool! I use mantis for pest control on my permaculture farm. I think they are by far the coolest bug around where I live. Second to that is these bright red and orange dragon flys that live near ponds. Anyways cool thing your into bugs. my favorite teacher is an entymologist. I am going to ask him if he has seen these creatures. good luck with her.

OMG that is sooooooooooooooo cool! i love mantises, especially orchid mantises, i kept a regular mantis before :) take care of it!

There seems to be a shortage of Hymenopus coronatus here in the US. Good luck finding her a mate over there in the UK. :)

*Drools*

....Love the mantis! Lucky duck...I've really been wanting to get back on track with raising mantids, but...CPs are taking over for now! lol

You really need to get a few baby neps for that awesome mantis! (Not big enough to eat it, though, lol)

Great job!

EGAD‼ What a face!

Now that's a face only its mother could love. ;)

Back