What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hummer gone wild

uphwiz

jimmy
It is out of the pot and going down the sides , will this effect the stems holding the pitchers, as in cutting off circulation to them , should i repot , im not quite ready to try repotting cephalotus I'm afraid I'll loose the plant , it looks like it has at least 3 , or maybe more points that could b divided,
IMG_1346.jpg
IMG_1348.jpg
IMG_1350.jpg

How about carefully trimming the old pot away with small scissors or clippers and then taking the resulting pot-shaped rootball and transfering that into a larger container, then fill the sides with media? I'd recommend 50-50 peat/sand.

Doing a great job Jimmy - Congrats! If you want to repot, do some planning & go for it. Av has some great picture-filled tutorials on repotting Cephs & Heli's around here somewhere.
I'd recommend 50-50 peat/sand.
I like to add some chopped live LFS in there too - but maybe that's just me ... :-O

I would leave it in its current container for the time being; my largest, best-looking Cephalotus are in those crowded, deep pots . . .

Cephalotus follicularis cv. "Hummer's Giant"

CFHG-1.jpg

Mine has a pitcher growing off the side too. It actually looks cool.

Holy +%&*! That is a huge ceph! Well unless you have the hands of a small child....

Looking good. Also, take some "winter leaf" cuttings and get them started in different pots, as backups. I just repotted mine... and haven't as yet filled in around the perimeter.

Picture004-7.jpg

Jim, ya have a rogue sundew in there infiltrating your Ceph!

Holy +%&*! That is a huge ceph! Well unless you have the hands of a small child....

Do you have to have your friends hold your whopper for you too? :-)) J/K

Very nice! Can't wait until my Ceph gets there!

wow!! spectacular ceph Bella. :)

"Jim, ya have a rogue sundew in there infiltrating your Ceph!"

How do you know that Ceph is not a weed in Jim's sundew pot?? : )

Great photos of great plants!!

wow!! spectacular ceph Bella. :)

Thanks . . .

The largest of last year's pitchers reached just over 8 cm (3.14 in.); and I prevented it from blooming, in order to maximize the pitcher size as many do with Dionaea. It seems to work . . .

A rogue sundew?! You should see the Heli pot! You know the old say,.... "a capensis in every pot...."

Back