What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Humidity pump

I just bought a Tropic Aire humidity pump from petflytrap.com. Does it matter what kind of water I use. Does it have to be purified? I use D.I. water (deionized) for the plants themselves. Should I just "play it safe" and use the D.I. for the pump as well?
blues.gif

I would use good CP water. It will prolong the life of the components of the pump system. if you use Tap water I don't think the plants would appreciate the chlorine odor in the air from the bubbler which will be piped into the growing area.

And they wouldnt apreciate the calcium depositing on theire leaves either!
sad.gif

The system his is using isn't a true mist, it's more of the moisture coming from the wet sponge thingy inside the canister that houses the airstone. It's similar to an evaporative cooler, wet, spongey material that evaporates water. Except a cooler of that size will do nothing but add humidity, what it is intended to do. If he were using a misting system that would be a totally different scenario were the water actually covers the plants, this system just adds humidity without harmful mineral so to a lesser extent hard water would be 'safe' for the plant but the system could become clogged by them.

Yeah i would use distilled water over hard/tap cause the bacieria that will rot the pipe's. i would suggest using a sunbeam humidifier over that Pft pump i have one of those and know like 3 other's that have them as well and they dont work very well they were original made for reptiles u can find the same thing at any pet store but i guess its worth a try good luck.

Electric Carnivores!

I use distilled and filtered water in my tank exclusively. I would rather have nothing in my water and add it than to have unknown stuff in the water and find out about it later =)

Back