What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Humidity levels   is it ok?

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
alright, i am not sure if this is the correct spot fot this question to be. but here it goes.
my "grow room" has a new addition. a humidifier. it is one that kinda works like a swamp cooler. the "filter/wick" sits in a pan of the water and soaks up the water. the fan sucks air through the filter and of course... you know. well the question is the humidity in that room will not go higher than 70% running all the time. this is mesured by a reptile humidity gauge. my questions are a few.
1) is this decent?
2) i think i herd before there is a relation between humidity and temp. is that correct? if so can you explain it?
3) did i buy the wrong kinda humidifier for what i am doing?
it has this feature where you set the humidity and it turns on and off to maintain that but it only rages 35-55 in 5 degree increments. or it can stay on all the time in high or low mode.

any thing else you may think in helpfull please feel free!
later,

adnedarn,
 The humidity sounds ok to me but that depends on what CPs your keeping in there.  Some neps will need a higher % humidity.  Most of the other CPs should be fine.

The air temp/humidity relationship is this:  Humidity is the % saturation of water in the air.  When humidity is 100%, the air can not hold any more water/moisture.  There's probably an exception to this rule. There always is
tounge.gif
. The warmer air is the more moisture it can hold.  For example, a room might have 70% humidity at 68ºF, but when your significant other nudges the thermostat up to 75º 'cause they're cold, there will still be the same amount of water in the air as there was at 68º but because the air is warmer and can hold more moisture the humidity will measure lower.  The reverse of this process is a room getting cooler and the excess moisture in the air condensing out as dew/frost on the windows or rain and snow outside.

70% is fine for most Nepenthes but plants like N. bicalcarata, N. ampullaria and N. gracilis need higher humidity and would appreaciate it up in the 80-100% range. Try to heat up your growroom maybe a bit more....another thing to consider is the air might be saturated and the humidifier is simply circulating the air and not humidifying it. Maybe duct the humidifier to the grow area via tubing and have the humidifier itself set out in a dry area so it will work, but the humidified air would be ducted to the growchamber...so your sorta cheating the whole principle of temp and humidity.
smile.gif

it is just crazy how reading the instructions can help!!! so it says place away from wall... yeah, blah blah blah... so i did and now i am hitting 80% maybe because it was condensating on the wall... heck i dunno. but 80% is better than 70% right? i was hoping for 90% but, do with watcha got right? after all i am not ( :-( ) growing any neps right now...
later,

80% is much better than 70%....PS read directions more.
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
tounge.gif

yeah, i read them.....
wink.gif
but figured it was just to protect the wall from mold er something... which is easy to take care of. i think actually it is due to the temp being higher. we will see in due time.
biggrin.gif

later,

Back