What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

humidifiers (Sears vs. Honeywell)

musamusa1975

michael1975
I was hoping to get some input on humidifiers for my new highland greenhouse. It's 8x10x6. I've narrowed my search down to a Kenmore model through Sears, or a Honeywell model (available online through iallergy.com).

The Kenmore (model 15412) retails for $139, has a 12 gallon output, and 3.9 gallon reservoir. It boasts a digital humidistat and a few other things that I'll probably never use.

The Honeywell (model HCM-6011i) goes for $105, plus about $10 S+H. It has an 11 gallon output, with a 3.25 gallon reservoir. This one just has a mechanical humidistat.

I'm tempted to get the Kenmore at Sears, just because if there are problems, I assume it will be easier to run over to the store, as opposed to dealing with an Internet company.
But, if anyone has any experience with either of these two models, I'd be interested.

Thx!
Michael

Make sure whatever humidifier you get has recirculating water that flows down the pad, and NOT a "wick" filter that sits in water and tries to wick water up... From what I can see/read both you're looking at are wick style... These need to be replaced OFTEN even if you use RO water, they just stop sucking up water... I use a filter made by Lasko- it's digital and is AWESOME! I run one in my smaller green house but it started off when I had everything on grow racks inside... I got my digital version from Sams club, but here is the more manual version from their website: http://theconsumerlink.com/product_detail.asp?BID=lasko&T1=TCL+1128-0&navStart=0&. If you have a sams club, call and see if they carry it, I think it was $80... Here is what mine looks like:
1012071717.jpg

1012071717a.jpg

Hope that helps,
Andrew

Thanks Andrew,

Definitely some useful info. that I didn't know. I called Kenmore and they confirmed that their models all have wicks. I called Sam's Club here and they said they don't carry humidifiers, so I guess I'll try that website I mentioned. Thanks again for the advice!

Michael

Yah, the wick are junk junk junk! Mine even came with an extra pad, but I've never had to use it. LOL (I do use RO water in it) That clear spot on the front water trickles down like a contained waterfall to show you the pump is running water to the top of the pad.
Let me know what you find out. If need be, I may be able to check my sams club and ship you one...
Andrew

Just placed an order for a Lasko 1129 model with iallergy.com. I'll post some pics once everything is all set up--I still need to work on some shelving....

Back