What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Humidifier Tester

I am wanting to know how I can test the humidity in my home. Is there any gadget that is cheap (20 or so) yet effective for telling you the percentage of humidity in the air? I as I hear people mentioning they have 65% humidity and it is good for this plant and so on. Also were would be a good place to purchase one? This would really help me as I could expand my collection beyond the 10-gallon terrarium. Since some of you own testers, what kind of testers do you prefer over other ones?

Since on the topic of humidity…how much would it cost to get a cheap humidifier? It would be nice if I ever decided to put one in a room? I am guessing they are $200 to $300 dollars?

Thanks so much
smile.gif
travis

I am guessing you are all guessing the humidity in your houses...and I am guessing there is know such thing as "Humidity Air Tester". I will do a web search and see what I can find
wink.gif
. So, I guess this it
tounge.gif

Thanks,
Travis

Hi I believe the spiffy word for a humidity gauge is hygrometer (not 100% sure). They are fairly cheap at pet stores (check out the reptile section if all else fails). From what I understand, mechanical ones are only accurate to 80% or so, and the more expensive ones are only accurate to around 90%.

Pat

There are indeed instruments to test humidity. My family owns one that tests temperature and humidity at the same time. It's really old (30 years) so I'm sorry that I can't help you find that particular one.

People have mentioned that you can get humidity testers at the pet store esp. in the reptile section and they are fairly cheap at under $10. Can't attest to it's quality though!
biggrin.gif

there are a lot of hygrometer types simple cheap ones I think you can find for 5$ and there are better ones and even digital ones for 20$ to ......
here is a link that would explain you how it work and how to build one by yourself
http://www.exploratorium.edu/exploring/hair/hair_activity.html
there is also another way to check humidity by using 2 termometer's one dry and 1 in humidity of 100% that if you like I can explain how you work it out.
arie

Thanks for the responces.  I plan on getting one in the next two weeks...as I will be busy this weekend along with getting my wisdom teeth pulled on Wednesday, eak
wow.gif

[/QUOTE] So, I guess this it  .
I am sure it does not mean anything but I have to say it...does that comment sound like I am "rood" because I was thinking great that sounds "rood". But forgive me if it sounded rood...auw, I had to say something because that was bugging me.
smile.gif

Thanks,
travis

Yes you can get humidifiers for your house. We have one that we have to use in the winter or else you get shocked every time you touch anything metal from all the static electricity build up. We have very dry winters, we also have very humid sumers so it only runs in the winter. I bought a small roll around one that is supposed to work for up to 2100 sq ft. You can get bigger or smaller ones. Ours has about a 3 gallon resivour and can go a few days between refills. It cost less that $100 at a local hardware store.

One of these days I'll I will get off my lazy A$$ and get working on the project I want to work on. It is a system called One Wire, it provides you to use your computer to take and log information about temp and humidity, among other things. I have the schematics to make all the things I need, I just need to get to ordering the components.

T. Buck.

Back