What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Humidifier Advice

Vbkid

Getting There...
So I need to get a humidifier for my new grow rack, but have never dealt with one and am relatively naive about them. I will probably try getting one through ebay/craigslist simply because I don't have the funds for a new one, but what features should I be looking for/afraid of in one?
Thanks!
Kyle

The biggest thing I would point out is that you need to make sure its an ultrasonic humidifier. Some humidifiers work by essentially creating steam and the extra heat wouldn't be great for any highland species.

I would suggest also looking for a "cool mist" unit. They have warm as well. The cool mist will also serve to keep temperatures moderated in an enclosed unit with a light source. Other than that, you can basically just look for a size that will suit your needs.

Do not buy a warm mist humidifer, stick to the cool mist aka ultrasonic humidifiers. I use a zoomed fogger, it's for reptiles and works quite well, but depends on the area you're trying to cover with it.

If you get one off craigslist make sure you check it out thoroughly and make sure there are no calcium or other deposits on the unit.

Also dont run it 24/7 you can burn out the disc on it and get fungal problems. Put it on a timer or temperature control device to come on when needed. I use a hygrotherm and I love it.

I just picked one up at goodwill for $4 and it was brand new! Since I grow my plants in my room, I just turn the humidifier on when I go to bed and turn it off in the morning. My room is always between 70-80 degrees and the humidity is between 60-70%. After the first 2 days of use I started my Drosera growing faster and starting to get more dew :)

Back