What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Humble beginnings

Humble beginnings -- End of Summer photos

As planned upon joining the forums here last month, I have set up 2 identical mini-bogs.* I went with plastic dish style 12" planters, 50/50 peat/perlite, topped with LFS.* All bare root plants were transplanted 03/08/08 and have been spending their days outside and nights in my garage (it is still getting below freezing here most nights).* All plants were dormant when purchased, but it appears a couple of the Sarr species are starting to wake up:1. Typical VFT2. Sarr rubra3. D. filaformes4. Red Dragon VFT5. Dentate VFTs6. Sarr purpurea7. Sarr leucophylla Tarnok
terra1.jpg
I'll post pics throughout the growing season as things progress.* Have learned so much valuable information here, and can't wait until the plants start growing.Duane

Last edited:
Worth waiting for, right?!

Can't wait to see progress pictures!

exciting! I want to see those tarnoks when they wake up and after they start producing their Summer pitchers later this year

Awesome bog garden! Can't wait to see an update on how that thing fills up with pitchers!! VERY NICE!

Here is an udate one month after planting. The S. leucophilla were the first to break dormancy and now have emergent leaves over 8" tall and still growing. The D. filaformis have surpised my by catching some gnats already. The VFTs are starting to wake up also. The slowest species to respond were the S. rubra and S. purpurea but they are both sending up new leaves now. The S. rubra even has a flower stalk.

mini-bog4-18.jpg

mini-bog24-18.jpg

Our weather has been typical CO spring, with some warm days, always cool nights and occasional blizzards. The mini-bogs have spent all nights and most days in my garage under a south facing window. Today the CPs got to bask in the outdoor sunshine. I'll post more udates in May.

Duane

2 month update

The two minibogs are doing well and finally starting to grow now that are temps are in the 80's for at least a few days a week. I lost the D. filliformes and S. rubra in one of the bogs and replaced them with D. intermedia and P. primuliflora (planter pictured below). Interesting, the two plants I lost in one planter are the two most vigorous species in the other ??? . The flytraps have grown well, turned red, and even caught some prey on their own. Looking forward to some consistent warm weather in June and a more impressive update at that time.

may30minibog.jpg

Very nice! It's coming alone just fine!

I agree with Tommy, great work :) Keep it up!
Andrew

Update 07/11/08

We have now reached the hot part of our summer here at 5900'....90's for day time highs and 60's for night time lows. The plants seem to be enjoying the heat.

S. rubra ssp. rubra just put up it's most impressive leaf with a nice lid:

rubrabighood.jpg

One of it's smaller pitchers swallowed more than it bargained for....a wasp:

rubrawasp.jpg

A nice new S. "Tarnok" lid:

leukohood.jpg

And then the gaping mouth:

leukomouth.jpg

The D. filiformis is ready to bloom:

filliformisbloomhead.jpg

The S. purpurea is coloring up nicely:

purp.jpg

And lastly the red VFTs from Andrew and the dentates from Josh are doing well:

vftaky.jpg

vftdente.jpg

Looking forward to some more growth from the CPs during our summer heat.

Duane

Looking great Duane! thanks for the update :)
Andrew

Sept 7 update

As summer draws to a close, the two mini-bogs are at their year one peak. In fact, both the Drosera filliformes and Drosera intermedia are beginning to go dormant. I must admit watching the plants grow and catch prey has been a great experience. The sarrs have amazed me at just how glutinous they can be.

Mini-bog #1 has the most growth, but it started with larger transplants than bog #2:
mini-bag1.jpg

The S. leucophylla has its largest pitchers of the year:
leuko.jpg

Mini bog #2 has a much darker S. purpurea and a still blooming ping. You may also notice a recently transplanted S. oreophila in the upper right (thanks again Pyro):
mini-bog2.jpg

Now if everthing will survive overwintering in my garage, I should have even fuller growth next year.

Duane

Last edited:
*Wishes his mini-bog was as awesome as yours :blush: * I must say, those VFTs are huge!

Great leuco's! Thanks for the update - fantastic progress.

Very nice mini bog there spdskr I really like your S. leucophylla very nice coloration.

Winter pics of the bogs

It's been 3 months since the last update. The mini-bogs have been in my attached garage under a west facing window for the past couple of months. Occasionally, I'll set them ouside on a nice day as a couple of the flytraps, sarrs, and the ping still seem somewhat active (they catch inscects on the warm days).

decbog1.jpg

decbog2.jpg

So far, as in most winters my garage has remained above freezing. If temps get too low, I will move the planters to my basement.

Back