What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ridetsu

Gamer
Hey everyone, i hail from Eugene Oregon, am 19 years old, and currently going to college for video-game design...
When i lived back in the country (kind of a farmer/cowboy i suppose), i grew VFTs. The only type i haven't grown are bladder warts and the aqua-type, but they do look very interesting. My favorite are sundews, but right now i am occupying myself with three traditional VFTS, a bigmouth, an aiki-ryu, and a lil one i bought from wal-mart on a whim (my current oldest). I'll post pictures of them tomorrow when the sun is better and post them here.

Well, after i moved from the country to the city, i took my plants with me. One winter, my mom saw their 'dead' husks, and mistook dormancy for outright death. She threw them all away one day while i was at school, and even after recovering them from the trash-can, they never made it to spring, and i lost about 12 plants. (4 pitchers, 4 sundews, and 4 VFTs).
I lost the heart to get new ones and to grow them. It was like seeing my children thrown away (i had the oldest of them for 5 years, but all of them had been in my care for at least 3 years each).

Well that was a about 3 years ago, and i'm getting back into the saddle now. On a whim i picked up a sickly VFT from wal-mart and brought it back around - its actually two separate traps, but from the same root system - both of them are shooting up their stems for flowers right now, and I'm content to let them.
I bought some plants from a random online nursery - i didn't study much into it, as i wasn't sure if i was serious. Well, both of them died about a week after shipping due to a poor root system, so i scrapped them and just took care of my one trap.
Feeling good and after freshly reading what i needed to out of "Savage Garden", i ordered two more traps and have been caring for them for nearly a month. One of them is a big-mouth VFT, and the other is either a red piranha, or an aiki ryu, or a crossbreed ( i lean crossbreed because of the long stem and short teeth).
I took up growing roses (about 8 of them) during my time away from VFTs, and was somewhat successful (they are alive and blooming now), but there's just something about carnivorous plants that excites and mystifies me.

I won't ever claim to be the best at husbandry, but i know enough to get things somewhat happy. I'll post pictures of my babies tomorrow when lighting is better.

Welcome back Ridetsu! I myself am back as well after a short break from the hobby - I'm sure you'll get your CP legs back in no time...let the addiction begin (again)!

Welcome to the forums! haha...people always come back. Once you get bitten by the CP bug...you're hooked forever, even if you take breaks. :)

Glad to see you return and I hope the next journey is even more fun than the last.

Welcome to TF!

Welcome aboard! Make yourself at home.

xvart.

Babies!

Well, i got some pictures of my babies and am gonna post them. First up is my Big-mouth - exactly as i hope to get them - short leaf, large trap, and kinda bushy. I want more of them, several more :3

Big-mouth.JPG

next up is my wal-mart recovery project. They didn't water it good enough, and it had very poor sunlight (they had it indoors.. INDOORS!). After i got it, it took about a month of recovery before pushing up a stem for its flower. Its traps weren't looking good initially, and i was worried it might end up killing the traps and eventually dying out, but if it felt it could bloom and seed, i wasn't going to stop it.

Flowering_baby.JPG

Next up is something a bit of a mystery to me. I think its a hybrid of an aiki ryu, and a red piranha... ryu because of its long, thin stem; and piranha from its short, saw-like teeth and its quick closing traps. Either way, i love its color - deep red with green around the lips/teeth. raarrr!

Red-Size.JPG

so these are my babies... my preference to them is short leaves with large traps - but they all are beautiful! I do want to get more big-mouths, and create a small above-ground bog with (hopefully) 6-8 traps in it, along with maybe some drosera.. but who knows!

Welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Another one from Oregon! Those are some nice pics.

us oregonians just have green thumbs it seems :3

Back