What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how would i go about...

glider14

Always a newbie
dividing this monster!?
IMG_0575.jpg

i only want a few plants. i have not even bothered to count how many individual plants there are...
Alex

EDIT: its D. spatulata

Just start tearing away :)

I have a pot of D. spatulata that looks just like that.
I also would like to know how people go about dividing something like this?
Do you throw out a lot of plants?
jlap, do they just pull apart?
peace,
Zero

As JLAP said, just unpot and tear them apart. If you want just a few. take the most robust ones and...maybe send the rest to somebody for shipping(or trade if you can find someone). I would suggest making that post first before dividing.
You could also experiment on the others-see if spraying with dilute fertilizer has any effect, ect.

Cheers,

Joe

I throw most if it away and just keep the larger plants.

You gotta use some muscle when pulling it apart, but not to much or you'll crush the big ones that you want. I can see 3 or 4 sections that I would pull apart from the original clump then I'd pull those clump apart.

I always plucked individual plants from the perimeter and put into new pots. All but the last two on the right were started that way:

101_0120.jpg

I'm perhaps overly paranoid about damaging the roots when I'm separating, but if you knock the whole clump out of the pot, and go back and forth between gently breaking off chunks of soil and swishing the whole thing around in water, the individual plants should separate pretty easily. Jim's idea of starting around the edges sounds like it would work pretty well.

Back