What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How-to: Water tray

I just got a terrarium and I got a VFT and some other plants. I have heard here about water trays. So I want to know how to make a water tray?

Take a dish.. fill it with water.. put pot with plant inside. The End.

Ther has to be holes in the bottom.

the bottom of the pot...not the tray:-D

what kind of pots, the one the plants came in?
How oftern should i change the water?

when it is dry.

May we ask...why the terrarium? The VFTs don't need them and depending on the other plants, they may not either.

My plants last summer were out in plastic litter boxes with 5 or 6 pots per box. Yes, it looked...not-so-beautiful, but it worked. It would rain and the water sat in the pans until the next rain. If it went a long while in between rains and it did dry up, I added some purified water from jugs. There shouldn't be any reason to change the water unless something funky goes on.

What sort of lighting are you using?

Are you joking?

Some people must have things spelled out in letters for them. I guess if we weren't here for some people they'd have pot-shaped mounds of peat sitting in a tray of thick, algae soup.

Some people must have things spelled out in letters for them. I guess if we weren't here for some people they'd have pot-shaped mounds of peat sitting in a tray of thick, algae soup.

Or something like this maybe?

wt1s.JPG

Oh man! I laughed so hard I farted!

LMAO!!!!

LOL. <fart>.

The container your plant is in, if it has holes in the bottom, you just place it in another container without holes in the bottom. Then you fill the bottom container (water tray) with water up a little bit so the soil is constantly damp. Many CPs love to be constantly damp. The holes in the bottom of the pot your plant is in will allow water to always be in the pot. You can use anything that holds water (like vft guy showed). I have used some pretty random stuff also, like the bottoms of the distilled water jugs I get.

xvart.

Don't use metal that's got copper or zinc for nepenthes. I think it's called galvanized steel, and while I love the song Galvanized, I'm not in the metal industry.

Don't use metal that's got copper or zinc for nepenthes. I think it's called galvanized steel, and while I love the song Galvanized, I'm not in the metal industry.

Yes it is galvanized, and I wouldn't use anything chromed either as it has a layer between the base and chrome of usually brass, which is made of both copper and zinc yea, well if the chrome is chipped, problems.

Well anyways her ya go, a picture is worth 1000 word's, so this should help spell it out.
Watertray.jpg

I love it! Nice illustration. I'm glad you labeled the arrow, because I was a little confused about what that might be and how that "line thingy" fit into the water tray process! lol.

xvart.

Back