What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to stand up to rain?

Adam

Sarracenia Collector
Whenever i have rain, i bring in by bog bown (i have two binatas) and i can't do anything for my bog. Whenever it rains, my sundews get hammered down, and the next time it rains, i find them dried up and dead. Is there a way i can make them stronger? There were a few i had a while ago (don't know which kind) which were good, and my capensis are good, but these binatas and filiformis die. What can i do?

They should be able to handle light rains, but during heavy rains, try covering them with a tarp. I have never done this, but I think it could be done by attaching the tarp to wooden or metal posts, and the tarp couild be taken off when it was over. I don't know what else you could try if they are in the ground. I wouldn't think that would be a problem though....

hope this helps.

my binatas and filiformis took a hail beating without a hitch a couple months ago.
and a ton of rain, but ive since moved them into my greenhouse since i love seeing the ridiculous amount of dew built up on them hahaha.

Cause even for a light rain, mine die off. THen again, as soon as i recieve i plant... should i maybe harden them off at a windowsill first to recover from shipping?

It all depends on where you get them from. Some places grow them in low humidity conditions. don't mention the name though. but if the place grows them in a greenhouse, you may want to slowly accumilate them.

It's from a so-so well known grower in oregon, not the one ran by two men, but the other one, that has other plants and antiques. If you know what i'm talking about

yup I know who. I got some plants from him, particullary filiformis. while my sarrs are currently in a bit of a hiccup, my tracyi is doing great. his plants are greenhouse grown I believe, so if you don't have high humidity, it may be a good idea.

They shouldn't have actually died, though. They may look dead on the surface but almost always send uo new growth in a few days.

Well, i lost my binata. I looked for it, and it dissappeared. I check every day. Hope my filiformis is ok. Any way of knowing if it's alive

my filiformis started growing, then died back. it started turning black, only to come back with 4 growth points. if it is still slightly green, baby it and hope for the best. if it isn't, still try.

What type of rain are ya talking about? Torrents and thunderstorms, or ANY rain? I don't think the rain flattening the plant will kill it, but I guess it's possible, if the leaves get buried by soil washing around. Lettuce will do that, but this is the wrong forum. We've had a lot of rain lately, and my D. Filiformis' got dirt on their leaves,(Same w/ the Sarrs) but didn't die or shrivel, though the Proboscidea's in the garden have a permanent bend in them from the wind. :pThe other option is the depth. I grew Filiformises in shallow (4") undrained containers, and they were dying left & right. Now they're in a 12+ inch depth bog with a drian hole, and none died in the past 3 months they were in it!??? From what I understand, they like drier conditions, so your problem might not be so much the rain, as the additional H2O the plants are getting from the rain and the flooding in the bog which results in root rot.
As for the D. Binatas, they grow around the same areas as the tuberous and pygmy sundews.(I'm pretty sure on that, correct me if I'm wrong) Those areas get a drier summer, and one form of Binata goes dormant at the same time as the pygmys and tuberous dews (Dichotoma small red form or something like that, you know, the weedy one?) They may also like a drier or more drained soil. ??? Mine are outside in a 4" pot with a 1" scaucer, so that hypothesis may be wrong. For those I'm leaning more towards the leaves being covered in dirt and the shock of being flattened.Good luck!
One thing, HOW DO YOU GROW D. CAPENSIS' OUTDOORS! I've tried to, and I (un)successfully have 4 poor little things being mistreated in the 90 degree weather we've been having.:blush: I could bring them inside, but I like killing bomb-proof plants.... I'll bring 'em inside someday.

Happy growing!
Aslan

Whenever it rains, my sundews get hammered down, and the next time it rains, i find them dried up and dead.

hmmmm..
I think there must be something else going on..
I dont see how "lots of rain" equals "dried up and dead"..
that just doesnt compute..

as for the binata that completely disappeared..I would guess a squirrel took it.
IMO, your problems are probably unrelated to rain..

Scot

Actually, scott... no squirrel could have gotten it, i have a squerril cage thing around it. And my filiformis just practically died in soft rain. Also, for my bog bowl up front, i have cayenne powder so the squierrels dont take my binatas

my filiformis started growing, then died back. it started turning black, only to come back with 4 growth points. if it is still slightly green, baby it and hope for the best. if it isn't, still try.

That's pretty much my experience, but due to cold snaps earlier in the season.

Lots of rain cam uproot plants that aren't anchored well and then be carried off. I speak from experience with that (cobra lily and assorted Sarracenias).

It rains pretty hard here in the winter, and nothing died on me, so I'm thinking your problem is elsewhere, but of course a lot of places rain wayyyy, way, harder than CA.

Well, a new leaf is coming after about a week of it being "dead: but im not even sure if it's a filiformis or just a weed. I suspect that it'll be patted down too and dry out

if any of your Cp's "dry out" that'll pretty much do it regardless.

Why not show us some photo's of your growing conditions?

Back