What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to reproduce droseras

Hi, how to reproduce my droseras?, i wanna reproduce a capensis, sphatulata, adelae, binata and, shizandra, what is the best idea?, i tink i put them in water..all the leave?,only the leave, not the dew part?, hoe many time?, or in peat..not covered?, or covered?, so many ideas, what us tell me, what is the best?, and how do i give them water?, i tink the water of the tray never evaporates, are they eating the water?, i spray them 3 times each day, i tink they like it, is good?, tsk to all see ya and have a nice day.

With the exception of D. schizandra, which I have never owned, all of the others reproduce by themselves it pots that are sitting in plastic containers filled with water (open tray method), at Southwest facing window sills. They have all done that for me.

oh ok. so is a bad idea cut some leaves?

You can easily propagate them by cuttings. Just snip a whole leaf, tentacles and all, and lay it on top of the soil. Cover the ends with a pinch of soil. You should get some sprouts in a couple weeks. With D. binata, you can use 1 to 2-inch sections of leaf.

Capslock

D. binata is best by leaf cuttings, but they also flower and divide into new plants. What I was getting at is that with all the others are efficient with propogating through plantlets or seeds or clumping. But go for it! Let us know how it turns out. I put binata leaves in 50 ml tubes of water and they go nuts with new shoots. Same with putting them in live, swampy LFS.

How much of the leaf is needed to propogate sundews? I know with VFT you try to pull some of the white rhymizome with it. So how far down do you cut the leaf? Thanks!

No, you don't need any rhizone or stem or anything for sundew cuttings. With the smaller sundews I use the whole leaf because it's just not that big. I'd use the whole spatulata leaf, but you can still just cut it where it's easy to cut.

Capslock

Cool i try someting, is more easy put them in water, cuz i have a pond, how many water they must have?, all the leave in the water?, only the dew?, or only the leave?, tks for all.

I don't know why, but I've never been able to use the water method of propagating drosera. They just end up turning brown. Apparently, others are very successful. Just put the whole cutting in the water, and change the water every two or three days.

Capslock

I don't mean to be lazy, and I will be happy to repeat my propagation stories, but they are all here. There are also many other people's propagation techniques here too.

The search feature --- use the search feature. You will find many posts about propagating Drosera if you just use the search button at the top of this page. It may be a little tricky at first, it was for me, but just play with it awhile and once you are comfortable with it, it is just a matter of finding the right word or words to use in order to track down the historical posts you are interested in.

Back