What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to properly use a systemic insecticide on VFTs?

NEWBIE QUESTION -------> "What make milled LFS so good for seedlings?" "Is standard peat too heavy, too dense for sowing?"

In addition to Steve's answer, standard peat can be used, after all you can buy those expanding peat plugs (just add hot water :) ) and cell packs as germination media. I'm not sure about the anti-fungal properties of peat vs LFS.

You can make your own milled LFS by crumbling LFS and/or scrubbing it through a wire screen.

Camomile tea misted on the seeds is supposed to be another natural anti-fungal.

Camomile tea misted on the seeds is supposed to be another natural anti-fungal.

Hmmm, That's weird 'cause I had some sown chamomile seeds that were killed by grey mold. Oh the irony.........

I actually like chamomile tea too.

Well seeds is seeds and plants is plants. Some seeds are edible while the plant is not (ever try to eat a walnut tree?). Some plants or fruits are edible while the seeds are poisonous.

What does everyone think of Neem-oil based fungicides?

And I read that Captan was also safe with CP's..........

Bad thing is that I cannot find them locally. :(

I used some of the Ortho Systemic (active ingredient Acephate) as a drench last week. Mixed it 2 tablespoons per gallon according to the directions, then applied over two days or so to one of my outdoor minibogs. All of the higher plants (Sarr, VFT, grasses) were unaffected, but all mosses, esp. Sphagnum, were immediately killed. The sphag was white within a few hours, and hasn't shown signs of recovering. After a week, the plants seem fine. No sign of aphids since application. Because of the loss of all Sphagnum in that bog, I'm looking for alternatives in my other bogs. Trying diatomaceous earth, which I finally found, to see if it will take care of aphids on newer foliage. For some reason, the aphids only seem to be a problem in the spring. By mid-summer, I rarely see them.

Wait a minute.....

What does "systemic insecticide" mean anyway?

Systemic in what manner??

The Schultz's Garden Safe 3-in-1 Insecticide, Fungicide and Miticide is Neem oil based. They should have it at Home Depot. Hydroponics supply stores will sell it in concentrates as well as the Schultz's.

Neem oil seems fine. I've used it with no ill effects but read the warnings on other products which might warn not to use with oils. Don't expect instant results as Neem oil works by disrupting the reproduction cycle of bugs and fungus, or gumming up the chewing or ovipositor parts of bugs.

Systemic means the insecticide is absorbed by the plant and actually is incorporated into the plant material. So when bugs chomp on or suck the juices of the plant they get a dose of insecticde.

About 6 weeks after application of Ortho systemic. Most older Sarracenia pitchers are browning at the lips, and looking a little sad. Newer pitchers and VFTs seem unaffected. All mosses in the planter, including Sphagnum, went kaput. Starting about a week ago, the Sphag has started to show some green again, and is slowly coming back. Thought this would be useful information for anyone looking for a good systemic. I've still found a light sprinkle of diatomaceous earth to be a much better insecticide for aphids.

Back