What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to photograph an invisible spider

I took the picture below last summer in an area of exposed sand on Deas Island, near the Fraser River, outside Vancouver. I was collecting a small tub of sand to use as a substrate for some scorpions I had just acquired. While on my knees scooping up sand I spotted this amazing spider. I honestly don’t know how I saw it...this was the most amazing example of natural camouflage I have ever seen. The way this spider just disappears against the sand background is astounding. It helps that this critter was also a little dusty.

As far as I can tell this species is an orange and black wolf spider (Arctosa perita). However, I also read that this species is common in Europe. So I am a little dubious about the identification—unless the species has been introduced to British Columbia.

Cheers,
EC
www.macrocrutters.wordpress.com

invisible spider darker hard pass_filtered by ernie.cooper, on Flickr

WOW! Glad your hand/shovel/digging implement missed the spider.

That's an incredible spider shot and it does really blend in well with its surroundings.

Thanks for sharing that one!

dvg

what an eye to find him just out and about! hes beautiful

Back