What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to keep humidity up

Ok, now that my plants are inside for the winter. I am looking for sugestions on how to keep the humidity at a safe level.

My house is heated with electric registers. Kinda like space heaters but they don't get nearly as hot, and are controlled from a thermostat. Also a fireplace. Last winter the humidity got so low, I would get static shocks just about anytime I moved..

My plants are sitting ont the floor infront of a east-southeast facing patio door. The door is covered with that clear plastic that keeps drafts out.

Can you place them, open tray, inside of a fish tank?

I keep mine in terrariums, some open some with small openings. The high humidity plants are kept in an attractive grow chamber in which I run an ultrasonic humidifier all the time and a vaporizer for a few minutes a day.

Hmm, I'd need a 500g tank to fit all the plants... Maybe I could make a greenhouse-ish thing from the left over plastic for covering the windows...

If I left it open 2-3" on the bottom would that hold in the humidity while providing enough air flow?

It would probably be 3' tall 10' long and 3' wide.

Back when I grew plants inside, I just humidified my whole house... It's nice in the winter months anyway... It makes it feel warmer, and is good for your skin and breathing... I use one simular to this Except mine is black/dark grey and all digital. I got it from sams club last year for 60 bucks I think... It works AWESOME! Don't trust one that wicks up the water.. Those didn't work worth crap in my openion. And the ultrasonic ones, don't seem to work in larger areas. This one actually uses a pump to pump the water up onto the pad....

Maybe you could set them up in a bathroom under fluorescents and just run a humidifier in the bathroom with the door usually closed. It's more controlled, requires less water, and the room is pretty moisture-proofed already.

CPs in enclosed terraria won't need additional moisture during the winter.

For improve the health of my non-terrarium plants (and myself) during the winter, I simply bought a Honeywell warm-air humidifier to keep humidity at 50-60% within my entire apartment. Most warm-air humidifiers are readily available, cheap ($20-30), use tap water, and easy to maintain.  They'll increase your electric bill by ~$30/month if run continuously.  For my non-terrarium CPs, I provide additional humidity by placing them in open trays of distilled water which raises humidity just around the plants to 70-80%.

NOTE: I wouldn't recommend raising the humidity in an apartment or home >60% using a humidifier as this can cause major mold problems, especially around windows where water condenses during winter.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Gawd_oOo @ Nov. 06 2005,10:17)]Hmm, I'd need a 500g tank to fit all the plants... Maybe I could make a greenhouse-ish thing from the left over plastic for covering the windows...

If I left it open 2-3" on the bottom would that hold in the humidity while providing enough air flow?

It would probably be 3' tall 10' long and 3' wide.
Ah greenhouse...
smile_l_32.gif
ok back to reality.

I keep my terrarium closed all the way. The only difference is I drilled two holes on the top. It is tough to tell if it works or not because my pitchers on my neps only last a month or so. I would love to help but not really sure if my method would work any better.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Back when I grew plants inside, I just humidified my whole house... It's nice in the winter months anyway... It makes it feel warmer, and is good for your skin and breathing...
Hmm yah that seems like the smartest ideas.. No shocks this winter.. Last year I'd leave a pot boiling on the stove when the shocks would get to bad.

Back