What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to get rid of thrips?

Hello to all from newbie..

I've owned a vft for around 7 months now, and she seems to be doing ok..she even survived my letting it flower..

I have pretty much identified the pest on her as as thrips, they kinda look like very tiny soil specks, but they move around. I'm not sure if they affect her or not, but recently the traps seem to die right before they open, right around the time I start seeing thrips on them.

I've read some info around, but it's not really clear how to get rid of them. I'm not sure if I should use some pesticide, or should I submerge her in water all night?

Thanks !!

hit the bugs with some malathion...do it outside if you can so the bugs can jump ship and die......spray, give the plant some time outside, and then flush the plant with deionized water to get the toxin off it.......don't leave malathion on for to long because it can burn the leaves(I know from expirence).....
sad.gif

dragonfly,
i would submerge the plant in water over night before using chemicals on it. i see/use chemicals as a last resort.

good luck!
technoracer

I'll try the submerging tonight, almost a week ago I gave her a light spray of diazinon, but the buggers are still there.

thanks for the tips!

I have used Orthene to control thrips with good success.

Make sure they are thrip. You are right about thrip being small, but thrip are cigar shaped. The juviniles are tan and the adults can be tan to dark brown/black. If the insects you are seeing are more of a reddish round speck, then you probably have some type of mite. I would be surprised to see thrip on VFT's. I grow our collection in production greenhouses and the only thrip I have ever seen on VFT is on the flowers. It seems to me that mites may be a better guess, but the shape should tell you for sure. If you must use a chemical, Orthene is a pretty heavy gun, so follow the directions carfully. You may also find a product called Isotox which is Orthene plus a miticide. I would go for 24 hour submersion first. Let us know how it goes.

I also have the same problem with Thirps. How long should you leave them under water and does it work or not. I would think that it would or would not. Anyone have results? I hope my plants can hold out, they are looking weaker and weaker.
ghostface.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Steve L @ Oct. 24 2003,7:27)]Make sure they are thrip. You are right about thrip being small, but thrip are cigar shaped. The juviniles are tan and the adults can be tan to dark brown/black. If the insects you are seeing are more of a reddish round speck, then you probably have some type of mite. I would be surprised to see thrip on VFT's. I grow our collection in production greenhouses and the only thrip I have ever seen on VFT is on the flowers. It seems to me that mites may be a better guess, but the shape should tell you for sure. If you must use a chemical, Orthene is a pretty heavy gun, so follow the directions carfully. You may also find a product called Isotox which is Orthene plus a miticide. I would go for 24 hour submersion first. Let us know how it goes.
I did the over night submersion, but some hours later I saw some small worms swimming out for life
wow.gif
so next day I decided to go with the orthene, gave it a light spray and it seems to be doing well now, since traps have gone back to normal growth.

Once again, thanks to all for the tips!  
smile.gif

Dragonfly, I think I'm also going to try the Orthene. How did you apply it? I gave up the the underwater treatment.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nightbreed @ Nov. 03 2003,8:16)]Dragonfly, I think I'm also going to try the Orthene.  How did you apply it?  I gave up the the underwater treatment.
whoops..Hi Nightbreed, hadn't posted here in a while.

It was pretty simple, I made 1/4 liter mix in a 'spray' bottle (sorry, not too good on english) and applied it 3 times, once a week.

She's been pretty good since then, her growth increased drastically, and no more #$% thrips or worms.
smile.gif

Back