What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how to cool down a terraium

i just always want to grow neps in an aquarium, but

now i know how to heat, but i do not know how to cool it down.

all i see on google is these super complicated machinery!

and what wattage do you reccomed?

also, about the timers. are they like come in a bulb or

a litte seperate part that you plug it on an outlet and

plug the light into the timer?

please excuse my bad english :blush:

thanks

Well, most highlanders don't need fancy machines :) But i'll assume you mean you want something that's ultra highland.

You can use a peltier system, which I hear is inefficient, or you can use evaporative cooling , or you can use a small AC unit.

The cheap way is ice.

As for timers, I dunno what come in a bulb means, but there are timers that you can plug into the outlet directly and timers that have a cord.

okay..peltier?
isn't evaporative cooler really big and expensive?
or maybe thats swamp cooler.

thanks!

oh what i meant by is that bulb comes with a timer inside.
seen them only twice...

If your hood has an integrated timer then use it.

Evaporative coolers can be big or small. We have one in our living room to humidify the air :)

I have one of those fan humidifiers for my room, it makes it a little colder than normal (a few degrees F).

please excuse my bad english :blush:

It's okay dude, I am very good at understanding people. If you don't understand something, just tell me and i can explain it to you :)

Any small, inexpensive fan will work well. They don't have to be big and expensive. Small and simple fans will work nicley. You can turn the fan off during the day, and turn it on at night. Lee, I find it helpful to mist my Nepenthes with a spray bottle two times a day and maybe put a small bowl of water in the terrarium/aquarium. if your terrarium/aquarium is warm and you have lots of water in there, you will have lot's of humidity. I don't use big expensive equipment and my greenhouse is very humid. Also, you do not want a timer that comes inside a bulb. It will be hard to find a high wattage fluorescent light with a timer that comes inside. You want a plant grow light timer. You plug the light into the timer, and then you plug the timer into the wall. You can go to this website to buy a plant grow light timer http://homeharvest.com/lampaccessoriestimers.htm You should get the 7-Day Programmable Digital Timer. You can also go to www.google.com and search for "plant grow light timer" you might want to check a plant nursery for one first though, they will probably have one.

Well good luck, I can't wait to see pictures of your terrarium :)

Regarding the right kind of fan to use in your terrarium:

It has been my experience that some fans just can't handle the humidity of a terrarium. I bought a couple of cheapy fans and put them in my 55 gallon tank and neither of them would work for more than ten minutes at a time before crapping out.

So I've ordered a couple of fans from, er, another website (I guess we can't mention other merchants on this forum)... But the fan that I ordered cost about 25 bucks and is designed to run inside terrariums and aquariums and is supposed to be able to handle the heat.

I just ordered them two days ago... I'll let you know how they work once I get them

Hey I have another idea. You could use an aquarium chiller. That's expensive, though.

thanks everybody

im gonna start earning money to make a small terrarium, maybe will take

a year.

Leewoojin, you dont have to buy a new aquarium tank for an terrarium. The way i got my two 55gal terrariums was i put an ad looking for a 55 gal or higher aquaruim in the local classified secion of the news paper. I have got calls the next day and have bought them under $25 and the only thing they needed was a washing. Hopes this helps and good luck on getting one

Jayson.

Seriously you can find HUGE aquariums for really cheap. Especially if they are scratched.

It it's acrylic and it's scratched you can remove the scratches anyway :)

Yeah, 100% deet works really well; if you know what you're doing. I once melted my dad's favorite sunglasses with it and part of my watch.

(I guess we can't mention other merchants on this forum)

...I didn't know that.
Oh, my bad. When I mentioned that website I wasn't trying to promote anything. I was just trying to be specific so I could help. Sorry mods.

Back