What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to: Closet Shelf to Growspace

I recently cleaned my closet out and realized I had a lot of extra space. Then I had the brilliant idea to utilize that space for growing more CP's! I made this thread so that people interested can follow along my process or if they decide to do it themselves have a good reference. Special note: this is the edited version where I only go to the store ONCE
smile_m_32.gif
I'll attach a materials list with corresponding prices on the end.

First I drew out a quick sketch of my closet and took some slightly off measurements so I knew what I was working with.

4.jpg

I realized I had extra room to extend the shelf outwards. So I grabbed a board from the garage, cut it, slapped some paint on, and screwed it in place.

1.jpg

Now I have a 20" x 39" surface area to work with.

Next up on the list was lighting. I did a Home Depot run and came home with 2x 36" Lithonia C-RS striplights that hold 2x 36" 30 watt T-12 fluorescent tubes. The fixtures were the most expensive part of this project.

Shortly after purchasing these fixtures I learned of how hard 36" tubes with an appropriate color temperature are to come across. Instead of the intended 5000K bulbs I had to buy 4x Philips F30T12 Cool White Plus RS 36 UPC 1LP that have a color temperature of 4100K.

Next I had to put together the striplights and do all the wiring. Luckily I had a power supply cable, a power strip, a light timer, and wire screw caps. After assembling all of this I screwed it onto a 9" x 39" x 17" frame I constructed and painted with even more wood laying around the garage.

2.jpg

After all this I went to the garden store and got a tray for seedlings and a tray with lots of containers for medium size plants.

Almost final project:

3.jpg

Stuff I still need to do include: get mylar / make a reflector, get another tray for larger pots, and get more plants
smile.gif
It is also possible if I run out of room to rebuild the frame with a length of 20" to accomodate room for ANOTHER grow shelf on the top, and room for two more below it.

This is a fun project but be warned, your closet will forever have an eerie poulterguise effect when shut
smile_n_32.gif

MATERIALS LIST
Material qty. price($)
Strip Lights 2 45.60
Lights 4 25.88
Powerstrip 1 9.97
Light Timer 1 4.97
Power Cord 1 3.98
ElectricalScrew Caps 1 2.69
Wood N/A free
Wood Screws 1 1.09
Paint N/A free
Total price: $94.18

Nicely done Eric! So do you plan to just grow seedlings and young plants in your closet or will you put other types of CPs in there as well?

Thanks! I'm gonna fill all that extra space up with the bigger size containers for larger plants next time I go to the store. right now I'm transplanting and mixing dirt
smile.gif

Sweet. Good luck! You'll have to post more pictures once you get more plants in there.

Be bareful not to kid the air stagnant and too humid otherwise you might get mold. Did you prime before you painted? This helps reduce mold from starting. Other then that, VERY COOL!!!!

thankyou goldtrap! No I did not prime, it's just two coats of acrylic paint
biggrin.gif

you forgot somthing!
"MATERIALS LIST
Material qty. price($)
Strip Lights 2 45.60
Lights 4 25.88
Powerstrip 1 9.97
Light Timer 1 4.97
Power Cord 1 3.98
ElectricalScrew Caps 1 2.69
Wood N/A free
Wood Screws 1 1.09
Paint N/A free
Knowing that you just
turned a shelf into a 1 Priceless
growspace
Total price: $94.18"
smile_m_32.gif

toobad i wont be able to do that....my closet is linked to an area above my garage by a little screwed in board with insulation in the back(which BTW doesnt help a bit!). so in the winter months the warmest it might get would be 40-50F in there. in the summer that changes to about 70F. with the fluctuating temps im not sure i could grow anything in it

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glider14 @ April 13 2006,4:26)]... in the winter months the warmest it might get would be 40-50F in there. in the summer that changes to about 70F. with the fluctuating temps im not sure i could grow anything in it.
Sounds like a good place for VFTs to me. Gotta remember that lights will keep it a little warmer (depending on how many lights you use).

oh you gave me an idea! i could turn my Closet into a Little Greenhouse! i just would need grow lights!!
mad.gif

I have an under the stairway Closet (im in the basement)

I could easly seal it off (the part i dont use or move all my stuff out) and keep neps in their
smile_n_32.gif

Im diggin youre idea though! you could put a few larger highland neps to the Right where its bigger!

cheers

Hey, great job, Eric! You and I should do a compare and contrast thing: professional vs. "ghetto".
biggrin.gif

Back