What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how to care for sarracenia

Hello everyone!! I got two small sarrancenia that I took from a larger one and both has a new leaf developing but it seems to be growing very slowly is that normal? I also have them sitting out doors is that ok it is not in direct sun either... or should I bring them indoors and care for them?

Sarracenias are definitely outdoor, full sunlight plants. However, they need to be acclimated, if they've been in a 'Deathcube' environment. Also, this is the time of year when Sarracenias struggle a bit. They perk up with the late summer. Keep hydrated.

Thank you will continue to keep outdoors then.. been having bad luck it seems with the plants I had lost most of them and they did so well at first for me so going back to reading how to care for them.. not getting into trade list for a bit cause not sure if those are beginners plants for me to try.. and I hate to keep getting them and they don't make it...

Thank you will continue to keep outdoors then.. been having bad luck it seems with the plants I had lost most of them and they did so well at first for me so going back to reading how to care for them.. not getting into trade list for a bit cause not sure if those are beginners plants for me to try.. and I hate to keep getting them and they don't make it...
Hey I just started with CPs 2-3 months ago. Make sure you're using good clean water, and soil. I'm using 50/50 organic peat and silica sand. The peat I'm using looks way different than the miracle grow stuff I had before. And as noted above these guys love sun which is were my plants get the short end of the stick. They only get about 3 hours of full sun a day because of a tree blocking my patio. Hopefully that was helpful.

Sarracenia aren't very difficult plants to take care of. Most of them have very like requirements, which are A) a LOT of light, preferably direct, B) a very damp environment, and C) their winter dormancy. Most of them don't need very high humidity and it may be detrimental to the health of some, such as S. purpurea.

Hello everyone!! I got two small sarrancenia that I took from a larger one and both has a new leaf developing but it seems to be growing very slowly is that normal? I also have them sitting out doors is that ok it is not in direct sun either... or should I bring them indoors and care for them?

Hi Swamp thing,
Sarracenias are not the fastest growers on the planet. However, since you did not mention it- when did you take the divisions? From the wording, I get a sense you may have taken the division fairly recently (please feel free to correct me if I am wrong, I will comment as though that is the case since the care involved is a bit more critical). If so, you are not likely to see a lot of growth for a while. Sarracenias take a while to recover from division- especially if taken during the active growth season (IE not dormant). If this division was recent, be careful about acclimating them to their new environment and keep an eye on them. Watch our for things like drooping leaves/pitchers as this could be a sign of stress or it could be a sign of soil pathogens (particularly if they are sufficiently watered and drooping- that is usually not a good sign). If you see that stuff, post back here with pictures of the plant itself and the area around the crown.

What you will want to keep an eye our for is new growth- particularly around the soil line. When this growth shows up, that is a sign that the plant is recovering really well and/or has recovered. Like I said- may be a while.

Regarding keeping them outdoors vs bringing indoors- As others have noted, sarracenias are full sun plants. Jimscott's advice is golden- make sure you acclimate slowly when changing conditions. When temps get into the 100F+ range I like to pull mine into the shade and top water in the morning and afternoon just to be safe and to cool the root zone a bit, but other than that they like the sun. If this is a new division, personally I like to keep them in a more shady area (like my patio) out of the sun for a week or two and then move them out (particularly if I were to take a division during active growth). That might make some people cringe but that is what seems to work best for me where I live.

Back