What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how to calibrate a notebook lcd?

• Thread starter Zero
  • Start date
  • Tags
    led
OK, so I had to get a new laptop and the screen doesn't look right.
I have 0 knowledge on calibrating a LED LCD, or any other monitor for that matter.
So, before I mess anything up I would like to know if anyone has done this before and if it's reversible?

I have a Acer aspire with a 17.3" HD+ LED LCD display running windows 7.
Generic PnP Monitor on Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset.
I can get to the calibrate display settings but kinda don't want to mess anything up.
If I go through this process will I be able to undo it if I mess up?
My photo's look very different on other monitors.
I don't want to post washed out looking photos that I have taken the time to edit:censor:
Any advice or info before I try this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Zero

It should be reversible, but might not be easy. I'm used to doing it on Macs, and as they cater towards imaging professionals there have always been fairly brainless calibration walkthroughs. Basically, it should show you test patterns and let you adjust various parts of the signal until things look best - some adjustments are for fine contrast, others are for proper color rendering, etc. It should be within your video driver, I would think...
I use a software tool from some video card manufacturer to test the new displays at work. I think it has a calibration routine, too, but I just use it to check for dead pixels.
According to Wikipedia, Windows has OS-implemented color calibration as of Vista; look for Windows Color System.
~Joe

seed jar, thanks for the info.
I'm running windows 7 which is great compared to vista.
my old laptop had xp though.
I miss my old laptop:(

Back