What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How reflective are thing?

• Thread starter kath
  • Start date

kath

Katherine
Hi, just a little info on how reflective thing's are:

Aluminium foil is 55% reflective on the dull side, 70% reflective on the other. If it's creased it only reflects 35% of light.

Mylar reflects 92-97% of light and 85% of heat.

Foylon reflects 95% light and 85% heat.

White paint reflects 75-85% of light, but does not reflect heat. This is only if it's flat and non-glossy. Glossy paints reflect only 55-65% light.

Though it might be helpful :)

Say wha? Tin foil is only 55%!? I gots to get me some Mylar!

i dont know if it applies, but i know that foil can cause "hot spots" of light that could potentially burn the leaves.

~b

This information was established where and how?

xvart.

Um... I typed in 'how reflective is tin-foil' um... how do I put this... did you know there's a marijuana F&Q as well? Yeah, well they had a lot of info on, um... reflectiveness... it's not like i'm going to use it to grow marijuana though!

They actually have the best info on pretty much anything to do with indoor plant growing. Thats where I turned for plant light ideas.

i dont know if it applies, but i know that foil can cause "hot spots" of light that could potentially burn the leaves.

~b

not with fluorescents though.

~b

Thanks. I was just curious if you did some work with a light meter or something along those lines.

xvart.

Every time I want to know something about light, I always get the best results by searching the pot forums. You can thank potheads for some of the fabulous advances in indoor growing. Whoever thinks potheads are lazy and dumb should go look at the forums. The lighting and nutrient topics they discuss are really advanced.

I don't smoke it but I have some seeds. Maybe I should grow some.

Mylar reflects heat?!?!

I don't think that I buy that premise....................

It does. Anything that reflects light also reflects a tiny tiny amoutn of heat, but mylar is designed to reflect quite a bit. They use it sometimes for those blanket thiny'g for if you get lost tramping...

Every time I want to know something about light, I always get the best results by searching the pot forums. You can thank potheads for some of the fabulous advances in indoor growing. Whoever thinks potheads are lazy and dumb should go look at the forums. The lighting and nutrient topics they discuss are really advanced.

Amen... The guys at the Hydroponics shops know a ridiculous amount about growing. I've been considering trying some of the dutch specialty nutrient products on some Neps. Theres literally thousands of different products to choose from though. Their "hobby" is bigger than ours ever will be. :blush: <--- Holding it in... lol

They use it sometimes for those blanket thiny'g for if you get lost tramping...

Whenever I get lost tramping, blanket thingys are the least of my worries.

Yeah I got an emergency blanket and it keeps it warm. Day temps stay high even without the heater on. It also does not allow the moisture to go out the side.

Amen... The guys at the Hydroponics shops know a ridiculous amount about growing. I've been considering trying some of the dutch specialty nutrient products on some Neps. Theres literally thousands of different products to choose from though. Their "hobby" is bigger than ours ever will be. :blush: <--- Holding it in... lol

feel free to visit amsterdam any time :-))

didn't know that about mylar

Back