What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How powerful is that aroma lure anyway?

I know the plant is working, because nearly every trap is closed and bulging. In my short time as a VFT grower, I've never managed to actually see the plant catch anything. But I find odd the number of flies that I see apparently napping near the plant. On the soil, on the leaves, even on the safe side of an open trap. Cearly alive, but not going anywhere any time soon. Is there some aspect of the luring aroma that makes them sleepy?

I've noticed similar behaviors.
I don't think it makes insects sleepy; I think that they are just so very attracted to the nectar, that they don't romp around as they normally do when near it.
It still amazes me how affective nectar from these plants actually is.

I don't know about sleeping, but I've seen plenty of flies and bees near my plants. The bees are kindof protective of the plants.

I get gnats, flies that don't fly away, bees, and wasp that like to stay on the soil on my Sarr (yes, I know, not VFTs, but similar). I got annoyed by this one wasp once while pruning, without even meaning to, I cut it in have and it tried to fly away, but only went a foot or more each time, while the other half still squirmed. I felt sorry for it since I didn't mean to :(. Sorry if the last bit was off topic.

I don't know about vft but i believe S. flava has a narcotic in it's nectar to get the bugs all drugged up. I think that the flies just love the nectar so much that they don't want to move. I have been chased from my plants by wasps more then once & every time that have gone right back to licking up the nectar lol.

Back