What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How much is too much?

I was just wondering if there is any kind of limit on how many bugs to give to your VFT? Most caresheets I read say that 2 or 3 bugs a month is good enough and they can go a long time without them as long as they still get plenty of light and enough water. Can you go over that amount or would that be overkill, like overwatering it? I know traps can only open and close so many times before there time is up so I don't want to go overboard for that reason. Anyway, just curious. Thanks!

Well my plants very rarely ever have an open trap. They are extremely adept at what they do. In my experience there is no such thing as overfeeding.

Cheers
Steve

Ayo, Hellz here,
if you leave em outsides, theyll do their job themselves, and catch tons of bugs
however, when my VFT are inside, i like to feed all the traps once a month with bugs i find (usually pill bugs, sometimes i buy them pinhead crickets as a treat ^^), and it seems to do just fine (some of the weak traps die, and the strong ones eat, and and 2-3 weeks later, a spurt of growth and small increase in trap size happens)
this is my experience, hope it has helped
Hellz

Thanks guys! Unfortunately, where I'm at I can't grow mine outdoors since I dont get enough sunlight where I'm at, so I have no choice but to do the indoors thing with fluorescent light. Working well so far. Anyway, I have a patio that I'm sure is going to see it's share of bugs this summer so I can snatch them and feed the beast! And some will sneak in through the patio that I'll make pay as well! I've only had the thing for a week and a half now and it's growing like a weed! I must be doing something right. Thanks again!

Back