What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many weeks

Hi everyone,

I was wondering just how long it takes for a ping leaf to rot? The reason I'm asking is because the only ping I have is my primuliflora and the little plantlets are able to be planted once the leaf dies. Thanx.
wink.gif

I've found that you don't have to wait for the 'mother leaf' to completely rot away before you can successfully plant P. primuliflora plantlets. As long as they have developed their own root system you can cut off the end of the leaf and plant them.

Vic

I've found that even then, you don't have to wait for a root system - but of course it's safer.

When you've got enough successful plantlets where you feel comfortable experimenting, you can try the following.

Rootless plantlets - cut the leaf with the rootless plantlet on it and carefully place it on the moist soil of choice. I'd keep a cup (with small hole up top) on it to keep the humidity high, and weigh down the corners of the leaf to keep where the plantlet's roots will grow firmly on the soil.

Folks cooler than myself will often take leaf cuttings (w/out plantlets already) and grow plantlets from the pieces.

Primuliflora is a fun ping to have, but as people have said, sometimes the mother plant will go downhill quickly for no apparent reason. Keep a few plantlets around and you won't have to worry about it.  
biggrin.gif

Back