What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many bugs....

in everyones terrariums how many people have a problem with bugs in the house.

If you mean, do CP's in the house get rid of bugs, I would have to answer they really don't, in most cases. Rather the opposite I think!

I thought having Sarracenia outdoors would take care of the wasp problem in the area. Well, they did: for the neighbors! But for me, they brought clouds of them. If you like flies buzzing around, have a few trays of VFT sitting there, they will call them from far and wide. They are very good at what they do!

I will say that N. ventricosa literally wiped out an ant hive singlepitcheredly: each 3 inch pitcher was half full of them, and they continued to march in a hypnotized line into the pitchers until there were no more. Burp.

I will agree to that one for sure! I have learned to become a lot more tolerant of bugs - yet, still watchful. (What are my options?!) One good reason to look forward to the cold!
laugh.gif

no im sorry for not making it more clearer but i was wondering if the people who have indoor terrariums with alot of plants have problem with the bugs inside their cages. all i have now is on fly trap but next year i want a terrarium with some more fly traps and sundews

As with Tamlin, the area we moved into had terrible wasp problems. After my sarracenia got to work, no more wasps. I did have trouble with fungas gnats in my ceph. pot, but after I placed a binata next to it, no more gnats. I have never noticed any major bug problems, but if you could invest in a sundew sooner as opposed to later, you might solve your problem. What type of insects are causing the problem? You mentioned you have a fly trap, does it need dormancy this year?

Other than the occasional fly that makes its way into my terrarium(s), the only problem I have is with tiny gnats.  They seem to hang around my dead  
sad.gif
 pygmies from last year mainly, and on the new tuberous drosera seedbed... for whatever reason.  I don't mind this, since the neighboring sundews catch them.

I think you are asking, do the terrariums attract bugs into the house?

In my experience, they do not. My plants did catch the odd mosquitoe that had wandered in through the open door, but no major or minor infestations of any kind.

SF

yeah that what i needed to no i bought the fly trap in the sping and im putting it to sleep thanksgiving day and ill take t out valentines day. i have never attracted any bugs with the plant i just thought the moist peatmoss would attract the bugs from out side

Back to the insect control idea....about the only plants that really have a shot of taking out 100+ bugs in a day is probably a three foot by three foot Drosera multifida extrema or a large stand(15+plants) of Sarr flava......

[b said:
Quote[/b] (cactopia111 @ Nov. 11 2003,6:55)]i have never attracted any bugs with the plant i just thought the moist peatmoss would attract the bugs from out side
I think you will find that your terrarium will usually only attract small bugs most of the time.  Most of them too small to feed anything but a baby Venus Flytraps and sundews.  My terrarium has fungus gnats, springtails, and a small spider who moved in on his own.  These make good food for sundews but aren't big enough to trigger the traps of large Venus Flytraps.  Don't worry about feeding your flytrap.  It doesn't need bugs to live.

smile.gif

BCK

Back