What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How long is the wait?

Adam

Sarracenia Collector
How long do i have to wait untill my utricularia gibba flowers, it is in a 10 gallong terrarium with about 4 gallons of water and no pots.

It all depends on how well you grow it. It may flower in a moth if it is happy or it may never flower if it is not...

Hmm... mines just sitting in there, with a high volatage light

Thanks for providing that link! I have some growing at a window sill and some outside, in an "open tray". I have peat/sand and shallow water. I am also still waiting!

One word, MUD. I have gibba blooming in the bottom of my Pinguicula Tank, in my experience it is most likely to bloom if it is sitting in mud or suspended in algae, I put peat in a shallow bowl and mix in enough water to make it slightly liquidy, put the gibba on top of the mix and give it good light and it blooms.

Ok, so do I put all the traps under the mud like terrestrial? or just a small portion??? Also, cuttings come today, maybe watch for a free cutting soon:banana2:

Follow the link I provided. It tells you everything to do

Interesting that you mention algae being present. Most hobbyists are trying to eradicate the algae from the U. gibba. It's like having dandelions!

yeah, ill have to buy algae!!!!!!!!!!! well, ill pull some out of my pond!

Bad news... i put a lot of peat in now the waters black... is there a way to remove it without taking out the plant???

You let the peat settle for a few days...

Ok, i didnt know how long it took, usually for aquarium sand ( what do i know:-D ) it took about 1 day, but ill wait and then i made some cuttings... sorry but not enough for giveaways, maybe JUST maybe next month

peat can take anywhere form a few days to a few weeks to settle.

This is why it is important to read up on cultivation methods before getting the plants and attempting them rather than after

Back