What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How long from a seed?

How long will it take to grow from a seed? It will be in peat moss and be outside in direct sunlight.

how long to germinate..2-20 weeks.
how long until the plants are full-size and mature. - 5 years.

Scot

Fresh seed, immediately sown can germinate within a couple of weeks and continue germinating for a year. Older seed can take longer. Time from germination to flowering is often 3 years -- more or less.

Good information can be found at
http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq2510.html

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BobZ @ July 13 2005,8:11)]Time from germination to flowering is often 3 years -- more or less.
more, but not less.

Scotty, Stop it! There are almost no absolutes with CP. I have had some VFT's flower at 2 years. Rare, yes, but it does happen. More often than not, 3 to 5 years for sure.

I've had them flower within 2 years.

What does flower mean? I just want them to grow and have a plant. I'm getting 50 seeds so if flowering means where they produce more seeds that's ok I can wait. I just want to know how long before I get some nice looking plants. It's July now, will I have some before fall, winter, or should I expect next spring?

2 to 10 weeks, sometimes longer. Yes, flowering is a different story.

It depends upon what your definition of "nice looking plants" is. A flowering plant generally means a mature plant.

I have some six month old VFT seedlings that are about the size of a quarter in diameter. I expect that they will be flowering size in about 1.5 to 2 years. I hope that helps some.
BTW- the traps are about a quarter of an eighth of an inch long.
dewy

Back