What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How long does it take to grow pitchers?

How long does it take for a Nep to grow pitchers?

Eversince I purchased my Nep, it's been growing new leaves but it still only has the 2 small pitchers (with burnt "lids") that it originally had.

How long have you had it? What are the growing conditions like as far as light, temperatures and humidity? What Nepenthes is it?

It is not surprising for a new plant to take several months before it will start making pitchers again. Alot of this depends greatly on what kind of Nepenthes and the growing conditions as well. Typically you won't get new pitchers until the plant produces new leaves in it's new home. It sounds like this has happened for you already. Are the tendrils on the new leaves elongating?
Tony

The answer to this question is highly dependent upon the species of Nepenthes you
have, and that is something which you've failed to mention. Slow growing species, such
as N. villosa and N. lowii, can take two to three months to form pitchers. More rapidly growing
species, or hybrids, can take as little as a few weeks.

In order to assess whether your growing conditions are inadequate, or you are simply
a bit impatient, you should indicate how long you've had your plant, and what your
conditions are (i.e., temperature, light levels, relative humidity, photoperiod, etc).

Thanks for the reply...
smile.gif

I'm not sure of the type of Nepenthes since when I purchased it, it was mislabelled as Cobra Plant / Pitcher Plant. I've been trying to post a picture up but it doesn't seem to be working (the pics are uploaded to a server but I can't seem to get them to link to this message board)... anyways.

As for conditions, it's in a terrarium lighted by a 15 Watt fluorescent white, surrounded by foil. Temp is between 76 to 80 degrees. I keep it in a dish with the bottom wet (1 mm of water). Photoperiod I've set to 14 hrs.

The tendrils at the end of the new leaves are elongating... but I don't know if they'll develop... the tips of the tendrils are brownish in color.

smile.gif

I have a n x Little pot of horrors ( could be alata, xjudith finn, ventricosa, too young to tell, really). The darn thing didn't do anything for 3 or 4 months after I bought it, then it finally started to grow. I bought it in June, and only just now have my first new open pitcher, with another on the way. Needless to say I am psyched!
biggrin.gif

cchang, a lot of public servers wont let you do a direct image link anymore, it bypasses their form of income, which is pop up advertisements... (By the way, if your like me, try stopzilla (from tucows.com) it will kill pop-ups without you ever having to see them!

what has been said about species and rate of growth before is very true... if you want to e-mail me the pic at sswinney@petflytrap.com, I will see about posting it for you.

Back