What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How long does it take peat to sink?

• Thread starter Clint
  • Start date

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
I never really paid attention, but how long does it take for fresh peat, already rehydrated, still in the floating stage, to sink? A day? 2 days? A week? I've never watched it or left it to it's own devices.

Clint

you just need to break it up a little more and it should go down

I made the mistake of potting one of my ventricosas in dried peat then watering it on the edge of my kitchen counter. Bad choice and it was a pain to clean up. So I put some LFS on the other one and it never floated.

If you mix it into the water it should sink almost immediately. Take the floating portion, submerge it, and knead it a little. It should take up enough water to sink. I find there are always a few little bits that just won't sink, but the bulk of it should once you get it thoroughly wetted. The problem is that peat is pretty good at repelling water when it's dry.
~Joe

I had this problem when I tried to make a home for an aquatic utric, it's so annoying waiting for all the peat to sink. No matter what you do, there will still be some peat on the surface.. best to just scoop that out.

That's exactly why I wanted it CK! I got tired of waiting so I just covered it with some Profile and it kept it down.

Now I just need to wait for my Aldrovanda to come :) I've got peat and leaves and clay and LFS under a layer of profile and grasses and floating plants. They should be happy!

I use a paper towell and dab the floating Peat. Sticks right to it making for easy clean-up.
Can I ask what type of Associate Plants you have for the Aldrovanda's?

Mystery grass from the lake lol. I guess it's carex? There is also an affixed grass that grows up there that i'll get this summer. It's about 2-3 inches tall and grows in thick mats along the shallows of the lake.

Back