What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How long do seeds stay viable?

PitcherPlantJunkie

PitcherPlantDruggie
hey guys, I was wondering how long do nepenthes ampullaria and bicalcarata seeds last for? I am going to buy some but I couldn't due to some reasons and I'm just wondering whether they could still be viable when I buy them. So, how long do they stay viable. They were harvested January 30th.

Lowland Nepenthes in particular are notorious for short viability, and N. bicalcarata at best might last a month.
Also, as uncommon as large flowering ampullaria and bicalcarata are in cultivation, particularly male/female pairs, what is the source you're looking at for these seeds? It's a very high possibility they may be poached (if it's eBay, particularly red flag), and you should avoid them for both conservation- and legal-minded reasons.

Lowland Nepenthes in particular are notorious for short viability, and N. bicalcarata at best might last a month.
Also, as uncommon as large flowering ampullaria and bicalcarata are in cultivation, particularly male/female pairs, what is the source you're looking at for these seeds? It's a very high possibility they may be poached (if it's eBay, particularly red flag), and you should avoid them for both conservation- and legal-minded reasons.
Yeah, I did ask the seller, he said that some of his seeds were wild collected and I thought it would be okay since nepenthes bical and amp aren't really endangered. They are like the most common ones in the wild.

Doesn't matter a whit if they're classed as endangered or not (and bical probably should be, as localized as it is), if seeds are collected wild without proper permits or, following the sale, are transported internationally without proper paperwork it can encourage less scrupulous dealings or land you in a lot of trouble if you're caught. In this case, it's possible at least the ampullaria was legally collected if it was on the person's land or if they can provide proper permit evidence, but I'd wager not.

Doesn't matter a whit if they're classed as endangered or not (and bical probably should be, as localized as it is), if seeds are collected wild without proper permits or, following the sale, are transported internationally without proper paperwork it can encourage less scrupulous dealings or land you in a lot of trouble if you're caught. In this case, it's possible at least the ampullaria was legally collected if it was on the person's land or if they can provide proper permit evidence, but I'd wager not.
I get your drift but I've found that alot of the members on this website have vouched for the seller, saying that the seeds were fresh and they had permit for collecting. The seller is almarlesounds.

I get your drift but I've found that alot of the members on this website have vouched for the seller, saying that the seeds were fresh and they had permit for collecting. The seller is almarlesounds.

al-bermarlesounds (at least when I had experience with them)? Yeah, no. Most of their seeds are wild-collected, several species that they offer unquestionably endangered and nearly impossible to get permits for, and they do not have international permits as far as I've ever seen, so next to nothing is both legally collected and legally traded. Speaking from experience as well, as many years ago I was the dumb one ordering seeds from them (and eventually ended up with a purchase or two that never arrived or never replaced as promised that pushed me away, shortly before I learned about the international laws being skirted as well). Look for seeds within your country and be happy with hybrids (as that's mostly all you'll find sold as seeds), or look for plants.

Last edited:
al-bermarlesounds (at least when I had experience with them)? Yeah, no. Most of their seeds are wild-collected, several species that they offer unquestionably endangered and nearly impossible to get permits for, and they do not have international permits as far as I've ever seen, so next to nothing is both legally collected and legally traded. Speaking from experience as well, as many years ago I was the dumb one ordering seeds from them (and eventually ended up with a purchase or two that never arrived or never replaced as promised that pushed me away, shortly before I learned about the international laws being skirted as well). Look for seeds within your country and be happy with hybrids (as that's mostly all you'll find sold as seeds), or look for plants.
So their seeds never arrived? did they at least give you a refund. I've already bought from them and I'm scared now.

Back