What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How long can a leaf cutting

I took two leaf cuttings, a D. rotundifolia and a D. spatulata,put them in some water, sealed the top and put them in the windowsill. They both starting growing new plants! This is the first time I have really tried the water technique and it worked great! How long can I let them grow in there before I should plant them in a soil mixture?

I took a third cutting of a VFT and placed it in there as well, but I can't see any growth yet. It is still green though. Do they take longer? Thanks!

Joel

Hi Joel,

VFT's take longer. I was unsuccessful with my attempt. I haven't tried spatulata or rotundifolia, but I would be cognizant of mold. D. binata & filiformis can reside in a 50 ml tube for weeks! I finally gave then away before attempting to transplant or seeing how long they can go.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">How long can I let them grow in there before I should plant them in a soil mixture?[/QUOTE]

I left my D. filformis ssp. filiformis and ssp. tracyi grow a few weeks as plantlets in their propogation tray before taking them out. To minimize shock, I am keeping the young plants in pots sealed in a large ziplock-type bag. The humidity levels are still high, and the young plants are still growing nicely! Over time, I will gradually open the bag to get them "hardened" off so to speak.

-Homer

Thanks guys! It never ceases to amaze me how these plants work. They are so interesting!

Back