What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how does a nepenthes get/make more growth points?

how does a nepenthes get/make more growth points?

some have em and some do not....how do they get them? is it just chance?

In my observation has mostly to do with size/growth stage. Plants in the vining stage will generally be the ones to develop multiple growth points. Basals will especially develop if the growing point is below the soil line due to the vine's own weight.

Basals can develope at any time or stage in the plants growth but most frequently occurs in the vining stage when the growth point is far away from the roots. Also if the vine is below the soil level the plant should produce a basal quickly

You can entice basals on most if you have a strong root system and cut off or dammage to growth tip. I have had several plants decimated by catapillars only to start basals and come back. I have topped a plant or two as well and had two or more growth points activate. I have had growth tips die on arrival and dorment nodes activate.

The active growth tip of any plany secreates a hormone to keep it the only growing point, si when you cut off the tip or it gets dammaged the hormone decreases allowing for others to activate and start.

I wouldn't recommend topping a plant unless it has a strong root system and it is mot a species that doesnt like to basal. If i rwmember correctly truncata is one that doesn't like to basal very easily.

I hope this helps

I have a few plants (ventrata, Judith Finn) that have grown a "basal" out of the growth tip so that there are two growth tips up high. I have other plants that grow new branches towards the soil line, and others that grow below the soil and root, as legit basals.

Well guys what would the effect be of removing the main vine abd letting just the basals remain? Something attacked the growth tip of my sanguinea and it looks really bad so i want to chop it off and root it because the basals are a good size and i dont want it to waste time or energy on the growth tip anymore

I have a few plants (ventrata, Judith Finn) that have grown a "basal" out of the growth tip so that there are two growth tips up high. I have other plants that grow new branches towards the soil line, and others that grow below the soil and root, as legit basals.

if they are forming near the terminal bud then they are usually called axillary branches/shoots not basals. :)

basals are only called basals cuz they are near the base of the plant

kev, the basals will recieve way more of the plant's resources for growth. they will most likely increase growth rate a bit.

Thanx myles the reason i want to do it is that i really have a gold mine with this sanguinea, its one of the blood red clones

ooooh i bet its a beauty :) Have you thought about how many cuttings you will make or how many nodes each cutting will have? all personal preference, IM just curious

It is a beauty! I dont know it depends but i might make three or two cuttings. Im also considering chopping up my tobaica x lowii since its made a basal, and more on the topic the basal was induced because i let the growth tip dangle below the pot for a while where preciously it was upright

I say do it! as long as you dont mind getting lowers for a while.

Well its never left lowers its not vining just about 20 cm tall and two basals on it with 10cm leaves

interesting.....reason i asked is my bical came with 2 growth points as a 3 inch plant and was curious if it could be enticed or just genetic chance....im guessing since it had one so small that it is one of the species that "likes" to make growth points. but it does appear the plant has an increased metabolism bc of it. perhaps when my other plants get bigger and I am more experienced as a grower ill think about it.

Back