What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you take care of plants when away?

This Christmas I'll be going away to my cousins house for two weeks.  I'm excited about the trip, but there's a problem!  How will I take care of my Carnivorous Plants?  Letting someone else take care of my plants isn't an option, because I don't want to get mad at them if something goes wrong...  I have several Venus Flytraps, two Nepenthes, alot of sundew seedling, and pings.
So far all of my plants are in a terrainium with growing lights.  My plan is to leave alot of water on the bottom of the terrainium and make sure the tank is sealed up so the evaporation is cut down.  Will that work?
I would appreciate all advice.

It has worked quite well for me, but I only have Nepenthes. I went on vacation for two months (don't know anyone in this area), and the plants survived with little stress. The highlanders didn't pitcher of course, but the lowlanders all did. I'm assuming your lights are on timers, or that the plants will get light somehow, of course.

Most important thing is that they are not overheated or underheated or have limited water. You want to make sure those factors are ok first. I usually will have a neighbor or family member stop by just to check things out. In the winter temperature is most important, of course if you plants are inside your house that is not really a big issue unless you have highland Nepenthes and they require you to be there to cool them.

Back