What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you grow cactus from a pad?

I'm going to get a smallly Pear Cactus pad to start growing for my Desert Tort and Beardie, but how do I do it?
It'll just be a big huge pad.. do I cut it? what?

Make sure the cut area is dried out, then put it (cut end down) into whatever growing medium you're going to use and start watering it maybe a bit more often than you would established cactii, that's it basically from my experience.... I'm sure there're tricks to make it work faster, but it is really easy from my experience

Or you can just lay it on the soil surface I find that alot easier.

Be careful! Cactus are not usually recommended for enclosures if you are talking about putting it in a tank and they need much strong light.
For ease laying it on its side is the easiest but will look funny for a wahile before the new growth covers a horizontal pad. For the best looks straight out: after the end is cut dip it in rooting hormone if you want and leave in a warm shady spot for a week then plant the cut end about 1-2" deep in the soil. Use very free draining soil ; lots of sand and gravel as well as perlite or lavarock. A little clay (like the natural found in crappy soil) also is good too. The pads are the easiest to grow.

Joe

Question: How do you grow cactus from a pad?
Answer: Drop it on the ground and leave it alone.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PinguiculaMan @ Aug. 11 2004,10:35)]Question: How do you grow cactus from a pad?
Answer: Drop it on the ground and leave it alone.
You're soooo helpful
smile.gif

Superimposed I live in Bakersfield cali lol.. kind of easy to just leave it outside
smile.gif

I grow them outside here in Mo. year round

I grow some outside here in NE. Others have to be brought in. If you are in Cali then it would be easiest to just throw it and it'll root where it lands.

Joe

Back