What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you get Nepenthes ampullaria to clump?

I've seen many pictures online of N. ampullaria where the basal are basically all pitchers and the leaves are extremely small. How does one obtain this?

oxFHnNN.jpg

Some sources say to induce this by putting it under stress, like giving it more light or bending its stem, so it puts its energy in basals instead of the main stem.

Also, the plant has to be vining for it to be able to produce basals.

Mine does produce basals, but the leaves are "normal" size so they don't really look clumpy. None of these pictures are mine

I want this:
txlNLc2.jpg

But get this:
pCE490l.jpg

The issue is that I want basal with diminutive leaves so it appears that there are only pitchers

Last edited:
I'm just taking wild guesses here but mimicking natural conditions might be worth a shot. They grow underneath the canopy to catch leaf litter and are shaded as a result. Maybe try shading your basal shoots heavily. No idea if it would actually work but it might be worth a shot.

I'm just taking wild guesses here but mimicking natural conditions might be worth a shot. They grow underneath the canopy to catch leaf litter and are shaded as a result. Maybe try shading your basal shoots heavily. No idea if it would actually work but it might be worth a shot.

I can see that, but that just might cause the basal leaves to grow out even more, since it will try to get more light. Or, you could try giving it more light. Either way, I've never tried both theories.

Swag, you could just try putting soil on top of the basal, since ampullaria basals are used to being underground.

Last edited:
Back