What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do these plants attract insects?

OK, I put my pot out today, since it was sunny and warmer, and a gnat-sized little fly came buzzing by--suddenly, it gunned it straight for the pot and immediately dove into one of the traps!

The plant ignored it (too small, I expect), but 30 minutes later it was still running around contentedly on the edge of the trap, eating the "nectar" I suspect.

I'm thinking that there must be a scent component in the nectar--or could the gnat sense pure sugar at a yard's distance? Amazing!

Squirrel-haters--I put my pot inside a tepee (sp?) of thin bamboo rods, driven into the ground around the pot and tied at the top. They are about a half-inch apart, and should keep the little bushy-tailed varmints out while letting light in.

--Steve

I think it might be because of the colour and the scent

yeah it is color and scent that is why traps get red and pinkish inside to attarct insects and the dew is a way to keep the insect in the trap

Man, the power of instinct. That thing went in there like it was being sucked in! I've found that the "dew" also has a visual component--it sparkles along the edges of the leaf. I couldn't see this with indoor lighting.

The bamboo teepee worked well--with a little bending and an iron ring to hold it at the top, I think it will be eye-pleasing as well.

However, the plants caught nothing all day. I checked on them over lunch, and there were a few jumping spiders looking around--a type of bug I'd just as soon keep in my garden, so I'm glad they escaped.

There was an ant in the pot, getting lost in the peat, but as ants have a bad rep as food I rescued it. Within a few weeks, there should be young flies galore--I'll soon know if the plants are up to the challenge of food.

--Steve

Back