What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do i transplant mexican pings?

glider14

Always a newbie
i have a P. 'Titan' and some P. moranensis in the same 3in pot. how would i go about transplanting them when they need it? i know they have delicate roots.....
Alex

Pretend they don't have any roots. Actually they have very few and very short roots. Make your planting hole in such a way that the plant will sit comfortably in place, without the benefit of roots to hold it in place. That is what I do that proves most useful. If conditions are suitable, new roots will grow very quickly. Choose suitable media for your growing conditions. Mexican species and hybrids can survive in many mixtures of media ingredients, but some will respond better to the presence of certain ingredients.

yea. right now its growing in a 1:1:1 of peat vermiculite and bark and i was thinking of a mix like 1:2:1 peat vermiculite and perilite how does that sound?
Alex

Both mixtures sound just fine. The best looking Pinguicula 'Titan' I ever grew was planted in a mixture of 1/2 silica sand and 1/2 small pieces of coral.

where would i buy the coral though? would they have it in petshops?
Alex

Yes, petshops sell it as substrate for saltwater aquaria. It goes by various names, such as aragonite, coralsea, etc. I like the aragonite myself, since it is usually already in sand-sized particles.

Back