What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Houston , Texas

Hey folks , I'm in Houston , Texas right now for the spring break vacation and one of my goals on this trip is to find wild cp's such as Sarracenia alata , Drosera brevifolia , Drosera cappilaris , Pinguicula pumila and utricularia . But all i could find in the muddy fields are bog orchids and senisitive plants . Anybody know a place that I can find some cp's here ? I plan on visiting Jones Park and some other meadows and lakes . I also plan on visiting pft if I ever get the chance .
smile.gif

I believe there is a site of well known bogs and cps in texas. im sure somebody here has it
rock.gif
biggrin.gif

Hi Goldtrap,

The best place to look for cp's here is in the Big Thicket National Park to the east of Houston toward Louisiana. Last year they created a specific area for pitcher plants and sundews. I do not remember the exact name but if you do a keyword search on your computer you will probably find it fairly easily. You could also look up and call Texas Parks and Wildlife and ask them. It's our government agency. What area of Houston are you in? I'm near the Galleria area. If you are near the Heights area of Houston there is one nursery that has (expensive) cps -- The Backyard Gardener (713) 880-8004. Another great little nursery in the Heights for tropicals, cactus, orchids, ferns and commercial neps is Another Place In Time (713) 864-9717. It is worth a trip. For native Texas plants Buchanan's Native Plants in the Heights also is great (713) 861-5702. Have you gone to the Arboretum in Memorial Park? They might have a bog but it would be manmade. Enjoy your stay in rainy and cool then hot and humid Houston.

Bobby

Just dont pick any.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Finch @ April 07 2004,11:53)]Just dont pick any.
yea, if you come back with a plant in your suitcase ill smash you with my... my mallet!
tounge.gif

Forget the expensive stuff . Hey biggun I didn't know you were in Houston. There will be a CP lecture May 22 at Jesse H. Jones park fyi.

Just so you know, Houston is a solid 2-5 hour drive from the really good CP sites... I am going on a fishing/CPing roadtrip this summer with Lake Fork, Lake Caddo, Big Thicket, etc. Takes quite some time to plan these things efficiently on a time budget.
laugh.gif
Spec, you beat me to the link. I have that one in my favorites. Also, PFT moved to Austin in Deccember or January... I visited them while they were in Houston once, while I was on a business trip. FUN FUN FUN!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
cool.gif

P.S. Enjoy our great state!!

That site Has not been updated in awhile any idea who runs it? is he here. Will the creator of "carnivorous plants of Texas" please stand up. *looks studiously at crowd*

*crickets*

Back