What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hot growing helis

Hello all!

I know that we've talked about this in the past, but I'd like a bit of clarification on this.

So, are H heterodoxa and H minor the only 2 heliamphora plants that can handle warm lowland temperatures? Also, are there specific clones from these plants that can and can't take the higher temps? I'm asking because I really want to try growing a heli or 2; they are definitly some of the most beautiful plants in the world!!!
smile.gif

Thanks

Jœl

H.Heterodoxa plants in cultivation orginated form the warmer lowlands and are therefore warmer tolerant plants. Minor is also tolerant of warmer conditions o I think you can get away with growing on just fine!

Try the hybrids which include H. heterodoxa.

Night time temperature should be below 20°C.

Martin

um martin, that's the problem... I would like to grow the helis outside with my lowland nepenthes plants, but I really can't get the temps lower than 24C (75F) at night on a regular basis. I don't have room for another terrarium...
sad.gif

Jœl

Hi,

if you can't immitate the natural habitat you shouldn't try to grow them. Heliamphora are highland plants and expect lower night temperature.
The easiest Heliamphora from my plants is H. heterodoxa x minor (but the other hybrids with heterodoxa should also be "easy").

I like Nepenthes bicalcarata very much but will never grow it because I can't provide the hot temperatures and the huge space what this species will need.

Martin

I understand what you mean Martin, but plants in general can be adaptable, and I've heard that some people have been able to grow heliamphora plants under warmer conditions than what they experience in their natural habitat. Peter D'Amato himself mentions in his book (I gave my copy of the book away, so I'm paraphrasing here) that some heliamphora, I believe H heterodoxa, can be grown in a hothouse. I didn't mean to be rude in my previous reply, and I'm sorry if it sounded like that. I just want to know if there are some heliamphora that are adaptable enought to grow decently with warmer tempratures than usual.

Jœl

Your best bet to try would be H. heterodoxa from Gran Sabana or one of the hybrids made with it. Not sure which might be the most adaptable. I would think the pure heterodoxa would take the heat better because it doesn't have any genes from cool growing species mixed in. However sometimes hybrids will be more vigorous because of the 'hybrid vigor'.

Tony

I would argue that the temp does not have to drop to 20 C for all the hybrids. I had my heterodoxa x minor growing on my windowsill all summer and the min temp in the house was 25 C or so. It grew (and still is growing) like a weed.

Yea, heterodoxa X minor seems very easy and can take some heat in my expeiernce. I have one very nice plant that sometimes gets temps up in the 80F's. I have a few to trade if you would like....

Goood luck-Zach

yes I also have grown a heli. minor on the windowsill since I got it, and it was the second cp I ever had!
tounge.gif

Hi, which helia, Heliamphora heterodoxa or Heliamphora heterodoxa x minor, is more adaptable to higher temps? I'm thinking of getting one of these. Thanks

I would go with Het X Minor, it may have more of the 'hybrid vigor'. It is also easier to find.

SF

For my birthday, my wife Michelle got me a large H. nutans growing in shredded pure cyress mulch inside a glass dome. It has produced a number of traps since I got it, growing on a table next to a south facing window. Its bright, the temps can get up over 80 F during the afternoon, but the AC keeps night temps in the low seventies. Constant high humidity seems to be the key factor. The plant is thriving and looks great! It's the only Heliamphora we have (at this time).

Trent

i got a heliamphora heterodoxa x minor for some time ago . i keep it outdoors in my small greenhouse with all my neps , mostly lowland . its experiances 100 degrees sometimes and still survives during the whole summer , its grows slow though . its in dhade , the humidity can get real high and stagenet sometiems and sometimes low and dry . my experiances , its quies a small chellenge to grow but as long as you can get your plant to accept soem small extremes then it will be ok . if you would like to know a place to get a good quality heliamphora and a very cheap price , then pm me .

I've looked at pics of both the heterodoxa and heterodoxa x minor. I can't seem to find any differences btw them
smile.gif
Is there a noticeable difference in terms of size or colouration?

I'm glad this post is around. I've been wanting a Heterodoxa X Minor for a while but was unsure whether it could survive in Sourthern California, it can get as high as 90 F here in the summer, nights always seem to be cool though. I think I will give a Heli hybrid a try next spring.

Back