What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Homer's growstructure

Hello everyone,

I built this growstructure about 6 months ago. I designed it so that standard 4 foot fluorescent light fixtures would be just inches above my Drosera, Utricularia, and Pinguicula. Fortunately, I stumbled upon some 4 foot pre-cut wood at Lowe's that was just wide enough to place 2 light fixtures side by side per shelf.
smile_n_32.gif

One of the shelves isn't occupied at the moment. Need... more... light.

Here are some random pictures of my growing area, so take a look and let me know what you think.

Homer

growstructure.jpg

petilarisgrowingarea.jpg

droseragrowingarea1.jpg

droseragrowingarea.jpg

Very nice Homer.

Are the shelves adjustable in height?

Nope, the shelf height is fixed. I use standard 3.5 inch pots for 90% of my indoor collection, so they fit perfectly for 3 of the shelves. The filiformis, regia, and other taller Drosera are on the lower shelf, and the ones that are flowering, so they have more room.

I do have plants in 10 gallon fish tanks that are sitting on the floor. They are reserved for some Utricularia, and pings that love to be waterlogged (P. ionantha, etc).

-Homer

Nice. Is the "D. paradoxa 100km north of Drysdale River Station Kimberley, WA" actually from Washington State? I live in Everett, WA
smile.gif

-Ben

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Is the "D. paradoxa 100km north of Drysdale River Station Kimberley, WA" actually from Washington State?

I wish, but no, its from Western Australia. Everett, huh? I was just up that way. Have you been to Willow Creek Nursery up in Snohomish? Very nice nursery, but good luck finding it the first, or 2nd time for that matter
smile_n_32.gif

My buddy Jeremy and I go up there annually... probably in June.

Homer

Well, I guess that would explain why I couldn't find Kimberley, WA
smile_n_32.gif

I remember reading about the Willow Creek Nursery, and I was planning on going there at some point, but forgot. Thanks for reminding me. I will have to check that out. It is a relatively short drive from here.

I have been getting most of my plants from Sky Nursery, and they get them from Jerry Addington. I am amazed at the variety of plants they offer; definitely puts Home Depot to shame.

I have never actually find wild CPs in this state, although I remember a park ranger said sundew plants can be found at Pyramid Lake, though I never found them. But this was before I started collecting CPs.

There is supposed to be a lot of U. inflata here as well, and I read an article about people having to pull it out of a lake because of the congestion it was causing. Unfortunately, because of this, it is apparently illegal to collect or even grow this plant here.

-Ben

Very nice. I'm curious how you keep heat under control. Even with a single shelf with two double-tube fixtures the temperature gets warm enough to heat stress some of the plants (like typical D. regia, which can't survive there- it has to be on my windowsill). Do you have some fans for ventilation, or maybe a humidifier?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] I'm curious how you keep heat under control.

Easy answer. Nothing. Not the best answer I suppose, but most, if not all the plants are enjoying the nice warm environment.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Do you have some fans for ventilation, or maybe a humidifier?

Good questions, and again the answer is no. There is no glass covering, so the ventilation is far better than terrariums. Temperatures are mid 80s during the day with RH @ 42 on average when I'm around. Excess humidity is not needed, even my prolifera that are native to rain forest are growing very well in these conditions.

-Homer

Homer,
I agree with you on the humidity.
Most my plants grow on the windowsill, some took longer to adjust, but they have and have been growing great ever since.

with exceptions most CPs are quite happy in 35% or so humidity. most Drosera only care that have adiquate moisture in their soil, other than that mine did quite fine in the really low humidity of our winters up here. my Ceph doesnt mind the low humidity to much either as i never see its lids closed. the main plant im having problems with in the low humidity is U. reniformis, its leaves brown up more often than i would like. i think its going to go in a dart frog tank. hopefully it will do better there.

Back