What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Home depot nep-5 growing tips!

mabudon

Metal King
I am pretty sure it's a gracillis, I will get an I.D. pic when the clouds go away and the light is good enough
smile.gif

Anyways, I am pretty sure, due to all the growing tips, that there are in fact 5 or six plants in the 4" pot, all with pitchers all over them... what should I do, seperate them a bit??
I imagine that they would like more space, but they are okay for now, just some of the tendrils are wrapping around each other and it seems that it would be better overall if I cut them into at least 2...
Any thoughts???

if it is gracilis the tendrils are going to wrap around EVERYTHING. youll just have to acept that. so far i have noticed with mine that every tome you cutt off a growing point it seems that every single leaf node erupts creating alot more new growing points. acept the fact that you have purchased one species that is dead set on growing everywhere and trying to do that all at once and you will save alot of stress worrying about it.

gracilis? in home depot? in Canada?
smile_k_ani_32.gif
i believe its a ventricosa, but 5 growing points in a pot, you must be very lucky
biggrin.gif
. did it come with a tag that had a ugly tree holding jars of lemon juice on it? if it did, its most likely a ventricosa. Zongyi

no need to seperate it.

Hmmmm. Did it look like this? If so, throw it away! It's genetic junk, and will stop growing well quickly. These are the result of irresponsible propagation!

N_x_Home_Depot4.sized.jpg

Capslock

wow, that looks freaky Capslock, but i like that lid. would be cool to have normal cps that had that lid, like inermis, etc.

how bout something closer to the typical mark? i just picked out a few old photos, closes i could get to haveing picked fresh from home depot.
N. ventricosa:
DSCF0015.JPG

Nep2.jpg

Nep5.jpg

after about a month, the pitchers would look more ventricosaish. Zongyi

Caps, your pic is infamous now. I know it shouldn't be encouraged to creat such genetic muck BUT....., I think it is a cool looking plant in its own right.

I know nothing of gracilis or Canada, so I'm no help.

Joe

No, those are not cool neps to have!
An alata I received in the mail had developed this problem after it made one or two leaves. These mutants (or diseased) Neps are all I've been finding at retail greenhouses in the last 6 months to a year. One greenhouse, Lyndale Gardens has had two enormous Ventratas afflicted with this for a long time and they look really disgusting! Large clumps of tiny mutated leaves and no pitchers.  Everytime I leave I think to myself, next time I'm bringing a stcker to put on the pots that says "I'm diseased! Kill me!".

I don't know what causes it but I got rid of the mailorder alata by destroying the plant incase it was viral but after almost a year none of my other plants have displayed signs of it-whew!

I got my "tropical pitcher plant" at Lowes. It wa young plant and had the orange speckles on its pitchers, which apparently looks different as it matures - kind of like fawns. From what I can glean, I have a baby ventricosa. I would venture to say that Home Depot probaly has nothing more difficult or sophisticated than a ventricosa as well. Check out the pinned topic about what plants are charactreistically sold from these two stores.

I believe Tony posted about it a while back, saying it was the result of cross/inbreeding. I don't think it is contagious, but I wouldn't it near my prized plants either.

No he states that it was a result of reckless tcing.

Hmmmm... it looks a bit like that "genetic monster" in terms of how much growth it has, but it really does look like some "proper" neps I've seen, too..
The pitchers look a lot like the N.ventricosa that Zongyi posted, excepting the fact that they have twin ridges of "spines" down the front of them...
I will post a pic soon, if the plant is a problem I will do whatever I must....
None of the other ones in the store looked like the one I got, I either picked the best or the worst I guess
smile.gif

Back