What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Home Depot Alata

picked one up and home depot today and want to know how to best nurse it back to health. The top halves of all the pitchers (~6" long) are dried and shriveled but there are a few new ones growing in the bottom of the pot. should I cut the old ones off? I might also try and divide it since there seems to be at least two different "stalks" growing out from the center of the pot. Any help? I know I def need to repot it into some lfs or similar. looks like its in pure mudd right now

not alata. its N. x Ventrata. yes repot it. but i would halt from dividing it until it recovers and starts to pitcher again.
Alex

ok, sounds like a plan. how about cutting off the old half withered pitchers? will they ever regrow from those leaves?

Cut them off. Nothing will regrow from that area, either.

xvart.

Personally, I'd divide right now. There's no point in waiting for it to pitcher again; it would just have to recover again.

-Ben

true ben. but! if it has enough stress on it right now why stress it further? like in a multiple surgery thing. why dont they do it all in one go instead of 3 different operations :) its not really the same thing...but it sorta is...
Alex

I'm just saying you might as well get over with it and divide while repotting. Plants aren't the same as animals; plants are very persistent in growing, even if they have been damaged a lot. Either way, it'll take some patience, and I just think that once the plant has been shocked to a point, it can't be shocked any more, so I think you might as well divide when you repot.

-Ben

If you're going to divide it, do it now. If you don't, your plant(s) are going to have to get used to new conditions twice instead of just once. Repotting always, in every case, helps out. Its not going to start stressing the plant unless you manhandle the roots. Ergo, get it over with, as there is really no reason to wait.

You people baby your plants too much. Rip them apart! They'll get over it! For God's sakes it's just a ventrata.

You people baby your plants too much.

I agree. Although I don't have the vast growing experience that some members do, I get the impression that some people overdo it with trying to give their plants the best living experience possible.

xvart.

that will all change this summer once i get a grow shelf (trying to continue the trend :) ) my plants are starting to get less and less babied.
Alex

What will all change? What trend?

I think I'm missing what you're alluding to

i admit i baby my plants. once i get my shelf (as several other growers have done already.) ill almost totally neglect them. i wont really care :) the only ones i may baby a little are the fussy ones like N. hamata if i get one. anywho the trend is the plant shelves. Ben (drosera36) started it all.
Alex

Why do you have to wait to get a shelf? Go get a plastic shelf from wal-mart or ikea for $10 and cover it with 3mil sheeting from a home improvement store or walmart (like $6)...or staple some plastic bags together...

well im not able to get to places like that much...my family is against walmart caus ethey the union thing...so ill have t go to lowes or HD. ill figure somthing out though...
Alex

Hmm...they shoudl still have that stuff there. You can prolly get cheap plastic shelves in their garden center, but at least they have that sheeting for sure (by paint supplies usually). Either way...thats what the internet is for

Back