What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Im trying to build a  Nep Chamber for neps that need to be kept in high humidity with specific lighting/temp
How would i go about doing this?
any advice?
some plants i wanna grow are N hamata, N Rajah, N clipeata, N Rafflesiana, N Bialacarta, N Truncata, N Meriliana,N Northiana, and N Ampullaria
i think i might get a green house built
or i might just make terrarium(s)
plz hlp me

Well.... Those are nice plants you mentioned but, they require quite different environments for optimal growth. I see rajah and hamata on your list, they are bit more difficult. With the rest being fairly easy.
I know nothing of greenhouse growth but, terrariums are good starting point for growth. You'll need a heat source, I use aquarium heaters in 2" of water and that covers the humidity as well. with a glass cover leaving a few inches open for air circulation. My light is a compact flourescent 6500lumens. There are good posts about all the ?'s you asked if you look. Swords has one on lighting that helped me. Look in the terrarium topic area.
Good luck man

Joe

Hey Hellz Dungeon, you might take a peek at my website which has some cultivation info and how to set things up:
Jurassic Gardens Nepenthes Cultivation Info there is also a FAQ page, pitcher morphology/anatomy and other fun things to read up on.

Hopefully it will be of some use for you.

You must know that there are lowland species which require hot days/warm nights (85-95*F days / 70-75*F nights) : N. bicalcarata, ampullaria, northiana rafflesiana and merilliana (all of which grow to enormous porportions rather quickly in proper conditions).

Then there are my faveorites (which are both large and small in adult size) the Highland species such as N. rajah, hamata. These species and their hydrids require cool days/cold nights (70-80*F days / 50*F nights is optimal).

The above species from your list are quite climate specific and can not be acclimated to warmer or cooler temps, and thus not be kept together in the same area. Decide first what you can easily supply (temperature wise) and if all goes well with the less challenging species then expand your collection. The plants will always be available so there is no rush and may even be cheaper by the time you're ready for them! I know my "expensive" early plants are shockingly cheap nowadays compared to what I paid just a couple years ago.

The others from your list: N. clipeata & N. truncata can be grown in "intermediate" temps which can range from days of 75-95*F and nights of 60-75*F. There are plenty of others which will do well in non-controlled environments such as N. sanguinea, ventrata, khasiana, maxima (and related hybrids), alata, ventricosa. The reason these species and hybrids are more common is because they are far less difficult to supply the conditions for.

Good luck!

Thanks guys
Josh, that web site is cool
im gonna read it in my spare time
and superimposedhope, i really didnt knowthere was a terrarium area, lol
Hellz

Back