What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hiking in the adirondack, ny

• Thread starter Tom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    wild
Hi everyone,

I plan to go in NY state for the october 9-11th weekend, hiking in the Adirondack with my girlfriend.

Any suggestions of Mounts or any good CP places to visit (in the wild or garden/hobbyists)? I can handle hard hiking by the way, so any suggestion are welcome, but i wish to make a 1 day hike...

Thank you!

Where about you going? Up near Fine NY I know of several great spots for Sarracenia and Drosera.

Hi,

I know the Adirondack are a vast area, but i don't have any idea of what to hike in fact... Hiking locations will be a priority on CP sites, of course, since it is the reason of the trip, or NY cp diversity shouldn't be very diffdrent from Quebec's ones... But your locations (perhaps told privatly if you fear poaching or such problems) are very welcome anyway, since i dont know yet where i am going :p

Don't know any CP locations, but Keen Valley has some wonderfull hiking. you can climb 12 of the 46'ers there. Get yourself some wild blueberries at the top of several of the mountains....Really tasty!

On your hike you should keep a sharp lookoutt for wild flowering dogwood. As i understand, Dogwood Anthracnose Discula destructiva has completely decimated the dogwoods in that area(or was that the great smoky mountains?). This is a very serious disease. any you spot still alive may be disease resistant, and you should note its location and report it.

Very interesting Finch, I,ll take good notes of this... Do you have any species name in latin, it will be easier to me to spot the species this way (do you talk about Cornus canadensis ? or which Cornus ?)

schloaty: blueberries in october? Here, bears and frosts will make them unavailable for eating by this date, i dont know in NY states though... but if any are available, this quick snack will be much appreciated!
smile_n_32.gif

(Cornus florida and C. nuttallii)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]This disease of Flowering Dogwood (Cornus florida) and Pacific Dogwood (Cornus nuttallii) has decimated much of the native Dogwood populations in the forests of the United States. The fungus that causes the disease, Discula destructiva, was probably introduced into the United States near Connecticut and Washington State simultaneously in the mid-1970s. Although it entered the U.S. at two separate points, genetic analysis has shown that the causal organism is the same. However, the origin of this pathogen remains unknown, as it has yet to be identified on any species of Dogwood occurring outside the U.S.

My reletives in Massachucetts sat that theres far less of them than there used to be. And identification of more disease-resistant specimans would geatly be of benifit to the horticulture industry and any future recovery efforts. Its like the next chesnut blight or dutch elm disease

your area may not yet be affected much tough. idont know

(edidt)

heres some scorces to help you identify the disease

http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/howtos/ht_dogwd/ht_dog.htm

http://www.fhpr8.fs.fed.us/pubs/dogwood/r8-pr26/dwr8pr26.htm

So any hiking/mounts suggestions?
smile_m_32.gif

uh, watch out for bears?

I meant hiking trails :p

I dont fear bears (at least, black bears). I have done forest survey all summer long and encounter only one face to face, and there was no bad incident (he didn't ran away, so we turn away slowly)... but we never know :p, it only take 1 bad accident for rising the fear of bear (bear-o-phobia? ;)) to ridiculous peak (it is not a bad pun
smile_n_32.gif
)

Where in the Adirondack's are you going? I only know the local locations in Fine, NY to get to them is a pain in the rear end. YOu would need a topo of the area, even then I still really don't think you would want to go to the big bog. It is up the top of a mountain and you must dodge all sorts of trees as big as buses. Its about 1hr hike to it.

I don't know much of the area, and dont have much plans done neither: any trails suggestions would be great (bogs sighting is a 'secondary goal'). Have you hike any of the trails up there Nepenthes Gracilis? A good suggestion would be great
biggrin.gif

Since i have about 6h of driving before I get in the area (starting from Quebec city), you're right on the fact that the topo map hassle would surely take too much time, since I want to try a trail which can be done within 1 day (about 10-15 Km, perhaps even 20).

Come visit my greenhouse, surely much easier to "hike' to in your vehicle than on foot!
smile.gif

Back