What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Highland Chamber

:: Highland :: i want to redo my Highland chamber do you guys want to show off pics? so i can get some idea's that would be great!
biggrin.gif

:: E.C ::

The NEPS in here are Highland NEPS.  But, I am not sure what you are looking for in a Highland chamber.  The temps stay at 78f or 80f  and then drop to 70f at night.  Other than that it is simply just a ten gallon terr for plants.  

MyNEPTank_Left.jpg

MyNEPTank_right.jpg

Here you can see the tank on the Right.  The Box is pine.  The lid hinges up where the four 26w compact flourescents are connected.  

CP_Cornerr.jpg

Nice pics Odysseus. The plants leaves and pitchers are getting some nice color. And the moss looks happy!

I would be careful about considering it a highland tank though and consider future purchases carefully. 70 at night is on the warm side. There are some highland Nepenthes that are very forgiving and wouldn't mind this but most would not be happy in the long run.
Tony

Absolutely agree with you Tony. I remarked on my night temperature because I ALSO don't truly consider it a highland tank. At first I tried to get the tank to cool off with cold water or distilled ice chips. HAHA That was a waste. I posted some questions about it originally on the CPUK forum asking if my plants would be forgiving to a more steady temperature. At the time I called my plants Alata but I am learning that they are mere Hybrids. ID's unknown at this time.

Speaking on the subject Tony, would you consider those temperatures enough for a lowland tank? Or does the temp need to be even more steady and warm?

As my collection gets larger and I get more tempted to purchase more quality neps from online stores like yours...I will build a greenhouse to provide the better environment. But, thanks for the compliments! I appreciate it as that particular tank was a lot of work.

70 at night is fine for many lowland plants. I would avoid some that I term ultralowland or don't like temperature swings.

Tony

thats a nice collection.... how are you attaching the pots to the upper sides of the tank?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Flip_Side_the_Pint @ Feb. 13 2004,20:32)]thats a nice collection.... how are you attaching the pots to the upper sides of the tank?
I use a malleable wire and through my ventilation gaps in the corners I feed the wire through. One end is attached to a hole I drilled in the plant's pot and the other end wraps over and is upwardly tucked nicely into the gap between the plastic black rim and the aquarium glass. However...these neps are quickly outgrowing that space, of course, and I'll have to switch them out with a lower growing plant. So, if you try it in your own tank...go ahead and start with something you won't have to remove later.
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the reply, Tony!

Hey, Electric Carnivores? You should check out this webpage. The owner has a VERY nice Highland tank. I am sure if you email him he will paste a copy of his plans onto a reply for you!
biggrin.gif

http://www.jurassic-gardens.com

Back