What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Highland chamber

My goal for this setup is to make some of my highland Neps happy. Most of my Neps do fine in my basement conditions but a few, such as N aristolochioides, need it colder. I haven't bought anything for this setup yet. I'm looking for feedback on how you think this will work.

Enclosure: Darkroom DP90 Propagator - 3' x 2' x 2'. I like that this is a compact enclosure. I wish it was another foot taller but I couldn't find anything between 24 inches and 48 inches. http://wormsway.com/detail.aspx?sku=DP224 $80

Lighting: T5 2' 4 bulb fixture. I don't have a brand/model picked out. ~$100

Cooling: 8000 BTU window A/C unit through one of the windows in the enclosure. Free, already have an extra one lying around

Humidity: Ultrasonic humidifier, I don't have a brand/model picked out. ~$50?

Temp/Humidity Control Zoo Med HygroTherm seems to be the standard. ~$70

Total cost: about $300

Seems good, but..... I recommend building bigger. You will quickly fill that space as plants grow and you aquire more. You will aquire more. The ac can handle a larger enclosure. I hear it is harder to find a good selection of 2foot t5 replacement bulbs. I would go with 4 foots myself and build a larger chamber.

I have to echo everything that JB said. If you can at all move stuff around and go for a size that will accept 4' units, you will save money and have more space. 4' high bay t5's run me about $90 for a 4 bulb and $150 for a 6 bulb. By contrast, the cheapest 2' I can find is 100$. The bulbs are almost the same price too.

Going with a 3' long enclosure is my #1 regret.

*Look on craigslist for everything!* I got a 2' T5 4 Bulb fixture for $70. There was a 4' 6 Bulb for $200 or something, too. Great Deals!

Back