What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hibernating vft

Last winter I stored my VFT in a root celler and I don't think it ever totally hibernated. It kept some leaves all winter and when I pulled it out in February it had a large clear gel mass on it in the stems of the leaves. Well, I pulled most of what I could off and it seems fine now. But how do I avoid it next year? I am afraid of it rotting out on me. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm not sure what that gel thing is but i do have some dormancy tips.  After the flytrap has shown signs of going dormant, i remove the rhizome from its pot and rise it off with pure water.  Then i treat the rhizome with a good fungicide to prevent rotting and fungus.  After that i wrap it in a damp not soaking wet paper towel.  I would recommend plain white paper towels as the ink from the printed ones can make a tattoo on the rhizome.  After it's loosely wrapped i place it in ziplock bag and put it in the fridge.  Make sure that your fridge doesn't get cold enough to freeze though.  You can also put the bag in a cold part of your basement if you don't want it in the fridge.  I just leave it in there for 3-4 months and periodically check it for mold or fungus.  

-buckeye

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (buckeye @ April 24 2003,10:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">After that i wrap it in a damp not soaking wet paper towel.  I would recommend plain white paper towels as the ink from the printed ones can make a tattoo on the rhizome.  After it's loosely wrapped i place it in ziplock bag and put it in the fridge

I just leave it in there for 3-4 months and periodically check it for mold or fungus.  

-buckeye[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
You ever change the paper towel? I did that last year several times by changing the paper towel and my vfts died. Or do you just keep it damp in the same paper towel?
confused.gif
This past winter I stuck the whole pot in the refrig and my plants survived dormancy. I am afraid next I will need to change the soil?
confused.gif

Travis

Where do you get the fungicide and what brand or type? Also, it seems like I have two plants together. Just leave them be. No sense in trying to seperate them? Thanks again.

You can get the fungicide right here from this site...either the Banrot or Clearys 3336.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Travis @ April 24 2003,11:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You ever change the paper towel? I did that last year several times by changing the paper towel and my vfts died. Or do you just keep it damp in the same paper towel?
confused.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Travis-

I just keep them in the same paper towel.  One year i used damp sphagnum and most of my vfts died so i changed to the paper towel method and it worked for me.  I did lose 2 tiny vfts this winter but i think that was because they were too young.

-buckeye

Back