What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi there - accidental insertion of cloth into pitcher plant

I wonder, will it digest cloth if it gets in the pitcher plant? shirt or something ?

Do you know the material?

How did it "accidentally" get in there? :lol:

I am not sure, someone informed me about someone throwing it in.

Depends on what plant it is, (Nepenthes, Darlingtonia or Sarracenia and what form) and how big the material is.

Cotton will rot down eventually and unless it plugs the pitcher (prevents capture and digestion) wont cause problems but nylon will stay till the pitcher dies.

Steve

I am not sure, someone informed me about someone throwing it in.

Sounds like it wasn't so accidental. I will never for the life of me understand why some people find it so difficult to grant the basic level of respect required to not do such senseless things.

Sounds like it wasn't so accidental. I will never for the life of me understand why some people find it so difficult to grant the basic level of respect required to not do such senseless things.
I've seen everything in the world done to plants in the public collection. Gum, kleenex, candy wrappers, pieces of whatever food folks had on hand at the time, and just about any kind of trash imaginable. Bicalcarata pitchers ripped to shreds (although I hope it was at least an act of botanical inquiry!). And not to mention a precious pot of N. jamban seedlings broken over the floor and poorly repotted (they died).

drives me nuts as a visitor to a garden with any CP's, watching people insistently poke the venus fly traps to make them close.

Last edited:
Back